Italian Wedding Soup
  Re: (...)
Has someone saved the recipe for Italian Wedding Soup that appeared in issue 35, no 25 which I believe is 2003. I remember reading the recipe, but didn't save it. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could post it.
Thanks,
Barbara
  Re: Italian Wedding Soup by bfg (Has someone saved th...)
Thanks to PJ - here it is. I didn't have time to type this up, so was very glad to find it in a search for you, Barbara. AND welcome to C@H - hope you will visit often.

Italian Wedding Soup
(Cuisine at home, October 2002, Issue 35, p. 25)

Makes: 12 Cups Total Time: 45 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Meatballs—
Stir Together:
1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1/3 cup Romano or Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 eggs, beaten
1 T. dried oregano
1/2 T. garlic, minced
1/2 T. kosher salt
1/2 T. ground black pepper
1 t. dried basil
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
Pinch nutmeg

Add; Shape:
1 lb. ground chuck

For the Soup—
Sweat in 2 T. Olive Oil:
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup ham, diced
1 T. garlic, minced

Add and Simmer:
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 t. dried oregano
2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf

Drop in:
30 uncooked marble-sized meatballs

Stir in:
1 can (15 oz.) white beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups whole spinach leaves
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Combine; Off Heat, Add:
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated

Stir together all ingredients (except the ground meat) in a mixing bowl.

Add the ground chuck and mix together thoroughly with a fork. Using a portioning scoop, shape the meat mixture into balls (about marble sized).

Sweat vegetables, ham, and garlic for soup, in oil in a stockpot over medium heat until softened.

Add chicken broth and seasonings; simmer 15–20 minutes.

Drop meatballs into simmering soup with a small scoop or a melon baller. Cook until they float to the top, 3–4 minutes.

Stir in beans, spinach, and parsley. Cook just until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.

Combine eggs and Parmesan with a whisk. Off heat, stir egg mixture into soup.

Nutrition Information (Per cup):
180 calories 36% calories from fat 8g total fat 15g carb. 489mg sodium

PJ
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian Wedding Soup by cjs (Thanks to PJ - here ...)
Thanks CJS and PJ for posting my request for Italian Wedding Soup so quickly! It is going in my digital cookbook immediately. Yes, this was my first post, but I have been following the C@H forum for a long time. I have always found informative information in the forum.

I am still disappointed that the Cuisine Members Plus project never got completed. However, I see that a new Web page has been posted informing that the site is under construction. Maybe, the project finally is going to be completed. Has anyone heard information about this?

Thanks again,
Barbara
  Re: Re: Italian Wedding Soup by bfg (Thanks CJS and PJ fo...)
Maryann, is this how you make yours? I've seen you mention making this and have been meaning to ask.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Italian Wedding Soup by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, is this how...)
Very close, Daphne. I don't usually follow a recipe, but that looks good. I don't put that much stuff in my meatballs and sometimes use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef. Oh, and I don't use beans. Ron likes it with tiny pasta or orzo. Cook that in a separate pan or you will need to add more broth.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Italian Wedding Soup by Mare749 (Very close, Daphne. ...)
Thanks, Maryann. I thought it ought to have pasta in it. And the beans did sound kinda weird.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Italian Wedding Soup by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Maryann. I ...)
Also, I usually use 2 quarts of stock. Never heard of putting ham in it either. I remember using that recipe one time and although it was very good, we are not used to the egg/parm drizzle at the end, so that's another thing I don't do.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."