Speaking of Fall soups...
  Re: (...)
I bought a cute little round pumpkin today. Hubby has been requesting a pumpkin soup recipe I did ages ago. It was served with these spicy lentil crisps that you made by grinding up some lentils in your spice grinder for the flour. It used baked pumpkin halves and pears. I think it came from Food & Wine or Gourmet magazine, but it was so long ago. I figure between the internet, what I can remember and help from you my foodie family, I should be able to do this for him. It was a very elegant first dish, and I'm thinking a nice grilled fillet would be an excellent next course, now that there is quite the nip in the air here. What kind of wine would you all suggest? And, please if this recipe rings a bell, do post all your recommendations
Thanks!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Speaking of Fall soups... by farnfam (I bought a cute litt...)
I have never made a pumpkin soup, so I will be watching this to see what comes up. Since Bill is in the Mediterranean right now....WHAAA!, we'll have to see what Jean throws out there. Also, you may want to check out Epicurious for a recipe and/or wine suggestions.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Speaking of Fall soups... by Gourmet_Mom (I have never made a ...)
OMG, Daph, I found it on the first try at Google. It is a Food & Wine recipe (good to know I have a few live brain cells left )

The Lentil Crisps are even here, I wish there was a picture I remember it so elegant looking

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/curried-pumpkin-soup

ps Obviously, I am going to scale it waaaaay down for 2
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Speaking of Fall soups... by farnfam (OMG, Daph, I found ...)
There were several like this on Epicurious, but none with lentil crisps! Have fun!!!! BTW, one recipe I looked at suggested a Chardonnay (this one was not a curry recipe) and another (this one was a curry dish) suggested a Sauvignon Blanc, Chianti, and Cabernet.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Speaking of Fall soups... by Gourmet_Mom (There were several l...)
MMMMM, Sauvignon Blanc sounds good. We have a White Merlot in the fridge, I'm dying to use it, but I'm not sure if it'll go. Seems like it would tho'
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Speaking of Fall soups... by farnfam (MMMMM, Sauvignon Bla...)
It took a bit of hunting, but here is that elegant picture I was remembering:

http://usedmagazines.com/cgi-bin/otherjp...199711.JPG
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Speaking of Fall soups... by farnfam (MMMMM, Sauvignon Bla...)
I don't see why not...white is white. But what do I know...LOL!

I did find this:

"Food pairings:
Salads with rich dressings, light appetizers, raw or steamed vegetables, fruits, delicate fish, barbeques and spicy cuisines"

I think you've got it with the steamed veggies and spicy cuisines...Why not?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Speaking of Fall soups... by Gourmet_Mom (I don't see why not....)
Ok, thanks, Daph, I think I'm going to go with the White Merlot.

But if the wine police show up, I'm going to tell them it was all your idea

ps Isn't the picture lovely, I wish I had some shiny gold bowls
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Speaking of Fall soups... by farnfam (Ok, thanks, Daph, I ...)
I didn't get a picture...not a member. When I went back and tried again, it didn't load at all. I'm going to try Googling it myself and see if I can get it that way. And the one you posted that had the picture didn't show anything.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Speaking of Fall soups... by Gourmet_Mom (I didn't get a pictu...)
go here: http://usedmagazines.com/cgi-bin/other.cgi

then scroll down and enter Food & Wine 1997, then scroll to November issue and click the picture

It really is pretty
Cis
Empress for Life