Mustard Barbecue Sauce and Mephis Rub
  Re: (...)
This is our favorite sauce I use for ribs and pulled pork. The closes we could find after eating pulled pork sandwiches in Charleston. We love the sauce and it is a C@H recipe from issue #3. The memphis rub is my standard rub I make - I use it on beer can chicken and ribs. I make it up in a quadruple batch and always have it available.

I made ribs when everyone was here on Monday. Also used some Baby Rays for variety.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Memphis Rub

Recipe By :Steven Raichlen
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup Paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons accent® seasoning mix -- optional
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, (1 to 3 tsp) -- to taste
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Mix all ingredients. Store in airtight jar up to 6 months.

Source:
"Barbecue Bible"
Yield:
"1/2 cup"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mustard BBQ Sauce

Recipe By :Erin
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces and dressings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup yellow mustard - yes -- plain yellow mustard
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar -- packed
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 T. lemon juice
1 Tbsp molasses -- mild
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredints and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.

Makes 2 cups.

Source:
"Cuisine No. 3 (June 1997), pages 24-25"

" "
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This sauce also freezes just fine! We use it on ribs and
on pulled pork sandwiches.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Mustard Barbecue Sauce and Mephis Rub by esgunn (This is our favorite...)
Erin, where did you eat in Charleston? Could it have been Bessinger's? They have a mustard based sauce similar to the one you posted. They even sell it in the restaurant with their other varieties. But the mustard base is traditional South Carolina.

I don't like it on pork, but on pulled chicken, it's very good. (North Carolinian's are very particular about their BBQ sauce for pork. Even the Eastern and Western parts of the state can't agree...and neither of those is mustard based!! But I WILL be trying this on some chicken, soon!)

I will also be trying out your rub. I LOVE the rub I've been using on chicken, but do not like it on pork. I'll be trying this one soon! Ribs are on the menu for the weekend! Thanks for both!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mustard Barbecue Sauce and Mephis Rub by Gourmet_Mom (Erin, where did you ...)
Daphne, I have no idea where it was. It was 1992 when I first started dating Steve and he was stationed at Charleston. I made it back there 2 or 3 times before he was transferred to Texas. One of those sandwiches was on the hit list while I was there! But I think it was just a roadside restaurant -take and go kind of place. But I really don't remember - I was in Love! BUT I do remember the sandwiches!

WE LOVE THE SAUCE though. I vary the heat depending on who I am serving it to. The kids really like it too!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Mustard Barbecue Sauce and Mephis Rub by esgunn (Daphne, I have no i...)
To be honest, it could HAVE been anywhere in Charleston...Bessinger's is just one of the most popular for the past 20-30 years. A LOT of SC BBQ joints serve this kind of sauce on their pulled pork sandwiches. I'm going to give it a try for some chicken the next time I make beer can chicken as an option. Thanks again!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mustard Barbecue Sauce and Mephis Rub by Gourmet_Mom (To be honest, it cou...)
Oh Erin - thank you - we both loved the Mustard Sauce and

are so happy you posted it. - We were stationed in Va. for many years

must be our love of the south.!

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Mustard Barbecue Sauce and Mephis Rub by mjkcooking (Oh Erin - thank you...)
Thanks Erin - so very tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mustard Barbecue Sauce and Mephis Rub by mjkcooking (Oh Erin - thank you...)
Thanks Erin. I love a mustard sauce. As for the pulled chicken, I had never heard of it, nor had it, until he served it at an event last weekend. Love the stuff!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.