Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw
  Re: (...)
Last night my daughter and I made the "Bahn Mi Burger with daikon slaw" recipe from the Cuisine tonight Grilling book. This one will definitely go into the favorites catagory! So easy and delicious. I did the patties while my daughter put the slaw together and we had some rosemary crusted potatoes as a side. All three of us absolutely loved this meal. The patties are made with pork with ginger and scallions. The slaw was so darn tasty I wish I had doubled the recipe. There was enough for the burgers, but I could snack on the slaw for days and never tire of it. The only modification we made was to skip the ham and mayo that were suggested toppings. These were so juicy and tasty they need nothing else. I just wish I had tried this recipe early in the summer, it would have been a go to all along!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw by chef_Tab (Last night my daught...)
Thanks for the review Theresa! They sound great.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw by esgunn (Thanks for the revie...)

Got to try this one I really like Diakon and the slaw would be great.

thanks

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw by mjkcooking ([br]Got to try this ...)
I had originally marked this, but skipped over it because of the availability of Diakon. Now that you've brought it back up, I remember the store in town is now carrying it.

Thanks for the review and the reminder, Theresa!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw by Gourmet_Mom (I had originally mar...)
I'm sure we would love that but don't have that book yet. Would you mind posting the recipe? I would really appreciate it if you have the time.

So how's it going in State College? Are you settling in and meeting some new people?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw by Mare749 (I'm sure we would lo...)
My, that does sound good and interesting. I'm going to have to rush this a.m. or I'd post the recipe...hopefully Theresa will have time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw by Mare749 (I'm sure we would lo...)
Quote:

I'm sure we would love that but don't have that book yet

Me too. It sounds right up our alley!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Bahn Mi burger with Daikon Slaw
makes 4 burgers
total time 45 mins.

For the slaw-
combine;add:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 TB sugar
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
salt to taste
1 cup daikon sliced into thin strips
1 cup cucumber, seeded, thinly sliced into half moons
1/2 cup carrot, sliced into thin strips
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

For the burgers-
Mix,shape, and grill:
1.5 pounds ground pork
4 scallions, sliced
2 Tb fresh ginger, minced
2 Tb dry sherry
1 Tb soy sauce
1 Tb chili garlic sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 french rolls, partially split(6")

Assemble with:
1/4 cup mayo divided
4 oz. deli ham, thinly sliced, divided

Preheat grill to medium-high.
Combine vinegar, sugar, chili garlic sauce, and salt for slaw in a bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Toss daikon, cucumber, carrot, and cilantro together in a large bowl with the vinegar mmixture. Refridgerate until ready to serve.

Mix first 7 burger ingredients, then shape into 4 patties slightly larger than rolls.(they end up being oblong) Coat both sides of burgers with nonstick spray, then grill until cooked through, about 4 mins per side. In the last 2 mins of grilling, place rolls, cut side down, on top of burgers to heat through.

To assemble, remove rolls, spread insides with mayo, and line with ham. Top with burgers and slaw.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw by chef_Tab (Bahn Mi burger with ...)
Thanks Theresa!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review- Vietnamese Burger with daikon slaw by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Theresa!...)
yes, thank you!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com