Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!!
  Re: (...)
Lorraine's other half discovered my Uncle Wallace's pancakes a number of years ago, but here's the first Revision I've done to them ever - will not 'to' them, but 'with' them. And is it good!

[Image: WalacesPancake.jpg]

This is from the cookbook - a Chef's Journey...Home ( )

My Great-Uncle Wallace Thatcher made these pancakes for my sister and me every summer when we visited him and Aunt Lolly. Even today, they are the best I have every tasted! While they are delicious with warm maple syrup, homemade Blackberry syrup is just made for these pancakes.

Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes

6 rounded T. flour (see CJ’s tip)
2 1/2 cups buttermilk (may need a little more to make a thin batter)
1 1/2 rounded tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 T. bacon grease (see CJ’s tip)
3 T. sugar

Mix all the ingredients together; the batter should be rather thin, a little thicker than a crepe batter. Heat a pancake griddle to medium-high and regulate heat so the bottom of the pancake is nicely browned when the bubbles appear on top.

Pour 1/3-cup size pancake batter on a hot griddle rubbed with more bacon grease or vegetable oil.

Turn as soon as the top of pancake has bubbles; cook other side until browned. Makes 14 – 18 pancakes.

CJ’s tips: After years of making these pancakes, I finally measured “6 dinnerware tablespoons” of flour and found it is equal to approximately
1 1/2 cups.

While bacon grease makes these the delicious pancakes they are, you can use vegetable oil in its place.

Quick tip: for fast maple syrup ~ bring to a boil & boil 1 minute:
2 cups brown sugar & 2/3 cup water; remove from heat and
add 2 tsps. maple flavoring and a pinch of salt. Use while hot.

------
These are so good, but this morning we had them with leftover Bacon sauce from the fresh corn ice cream. Oh, so very, very good!!

Bacon Sauce:
8 oz bacon, rendered in oven until very crispy
1/2 lb. butter
1/2 lb. dark brown sugar
2 cups maple syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1 tbsp. vanilla extract

In a 3-qt. saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until it becomes light brown. Whisk the brown sugar, maple syrup and heavy cream into the butter and bring to a boil. Add the bacon and vanilla extract.

Using an immersion blender, mix sauce until bacon is in small pieces. Strain the sauce.

-----

Oh Gil, this is such a wonderful combination!! (and this is for anyone else who likes to make the best (Sharon!!) pancakes in the world.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!! by cjs (Lorraine's other hal...)
I have not made pancakes in soooo long! I think next Saturday or Sunday might have to be "Breakfast for Dinner" night!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (I have not made panc...)
Quote:

I have not made pancakes in soooo long! I think next Saturday or Sunday might have to be "Breakfast for Dinner" night!

Yep. I'm thinking the same thing here! Ron is going to go nuts over that bacon sauce.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!! by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Sounds really good, but I'll have to pass. The Bacon food group doesn't see much action around here any more.
  Re: Re: Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!! by HomeCulinarian (Sounds really good, ...)
Wow! He almost fell off his chair in glee when I read him the ingredients! Every morning when I ask him what he wants for breakfast , he says "Uncle Wallace's Pancakes?????" It'll be 1 1/2 weeks before I can make it, but he thinks it would also be great on a banana cake. Thanks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!! by Lorraine (Wow! He almost fell...)
Hi stranger! Glad you saw this thread. Banana cake, why not? (it's good dipped on a spoon too )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!! by cjs (Lorraine's other hal...)
Geez Louise!! Just when I really need to get serious about losing weight, you go post this recipe! Grrrrrr!!!

I think the best has browns I ever made from scratch was when we brought back a slab of uncured bacon from the Dominican Republic in the early 90's. I cooked the bacon, then cooked the hashies in the fat. Mmmm!! Mmmm!! Good!!

And now, a dozen or so years later, my arteries are going to explode!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!! by BarbaraS (Geez Louise!! Just ...)
Thanks for bringing this back to the top, Barbara. I had already forgotten this and wanted to make it this weekend.

YO JEAN! I was just making up my grocery list and I was wondering...I have a half pint of cream and about a quart of half and half. Should I sub half and half for all or half the cream? Or should I be "bad" and get more cream?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for bringing ...)
oh why not be half-a$$ed good...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey Gil!!! Wallace's Pancakes!!!!!! by cjs (oh why not be half-a...)
Jean, I had to come in and tell you...my boys have given you the ultimate compliment! Their eyes literally rolled back in their heads...repeatedly! "That's the most 'awesomest' breakfast I've ever had!" "That's at least a 10 and a 1/2! I guess if we'd had real maple syrup, it would have probably been a 12!"

I really should have halved the sauce. I started to, but I hadn't thought it through just how much was going in there until it was too late. Would it freeze with that syrup in there? It's too good to let it go to waste, and there's enough to feed an army!
Daphne