Home canned stock
  Re: (...)
I read the "Stock Options" article in the October issue with great interest. I use a ton of commercially canned chicken broth in many of my recipes. I'm thinking I would love to substitute homemade stock in its place, but I don't want to make stock every time I cook. Is there any reason why I couldn't put my homemade stock in glass canning jars and pasteurize it at 160 and store it in my pantry? How long would the shelf life be? Thanks.
  Re: Home canned stock by RichardGleasonJr (I read the "Stock Op...)
I'd be scared to can stock. I don't know if it would be safe. Someone more experienced may have your answer.

I freeze mine...I just used my last package recently. I just throw the innards from whole chickens and skin and bones from deboning thighs and breasts, etc into a bag in the freezer. When it gets full, I make stock and freeze in quart containers. Oh, and wing tips when I make wings!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Home canned stock by Gourmet_Mom (I'd be scared to can...)
I freeze mine in muffin tins 1/2 and 1 cup ones, since I often need a cup or less for sauces. After frozen, I put 6 in a food saver quart bag. Takes up less space than quart containers and I don't have to defrost the entire container to get 3/4 cup! I think pressure canning would be ok, but not a water bath. If you want to save even more space, reduce each cup by 1/2 or 3/4 and use an ice cube tray to freeze. Just put the cube in the pan sauce or add water to reconstitute if using for other stuff. I use my 22 qt pressure canner pot to make the stock (no pressure, it is just good size pot to use since I can put the insert from the 12 qt pasta pot in it, and put the bones, etc in it and take it all out at once), makes it easier to strain. I've done mine the long way and made smaller quantities in my 6qt pressure cooker as well (used Alton Brown's pressure cooker recipe available at the Food Network site). Since I use a food saver to freeze, I only have to make chicken stock 2 or 3 times a year. Beef stock which I don't use as often I only make every 8-9 months or so. Hope this helps.
  Re: Re: Home canned stock by Cubangirl ( I freeze mine in mu...)
Welcome to the forum, Richard!

I like to freeze stock in ice trays for which I have already measured the volume of each "cube" to be one ounce. Then, I transfer the frozen cubes to ZipLoc bags. When a recipe calls for a certain amount of stock, I simply take out that many cubes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Home canned stock by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
I also use the FoodSaver bags to freeze my stock. Doesn't last long enough to spoil or anything. The bags take up very little room if you lay them flat to freeze. Yes I know you're not supposed to vacuum pack liquids in the FoodSaver, but have done it for years.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Home canned stock by bjcotton (I also use the FoodS...)
I'd be afraid to can the stock myself. I remember years ago when we canned meats, we'd seal it with a layer of fat and it was always good (read 'safe'), but with the advent of freezers, who even does that anymore?

The only thing I would suggest to you, Richard, is to call one of the hot lines for Kerr or Ball.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com