Idiazabal cheese!
  Re: (...)
I'm not much of a cheese-eater, but I went out to lunch today with friends and had a sandwich whose filling was a cheese I had never even heard of before-- Idiazabal. A pressed sandwich of Idiazabal and Manchego with plantain chips, arugula, and lime. Delicious, it was!

So, if I can find this in the mega-grocery store, what other recipes or types of food should I use it in?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Idiazabal cheese! by foodfiend (I'm not much of a ch...)
I was intrigued and had to hit Cook's Thesaurus just to see what it was all about before I went to sleep.

Here's what I found:

"Idiazabal cheese = Idiazábal cheese = queso vasco Pronunciation: ih-dee-ah-ZAH-bol Notes: This salty, sharp and crumbly Basque cheese is made with raw sheep's milk. It's usually smoked and aged before it hits the stores. It's a good cheese to grate in salads, melt on meats, or eat with crackers. Try serving it with sherry."

I am fairly new to cheeses, also, so I am interested in exploring! This one sounds right up my alley! Sadly, I may not be able to try it unless I order it...I have never seen this one!

Now to see what the other say. This should be interesting! Cheesemonger...where are you?!?!?!? Yo Bill!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Idiazabal cheese! by Gourmet_Mom (I was intrigued and ...)
I just sent Cheesemonger a PM--"where are you?!?" We have no control over our kids. Anyone else have that problem?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Idiazabal cheese! by Old Bay (I just sent Cheesemo...)
Quote:

I just sent Cheesemonger a PM--"where are you?!?" We have no control over our kids. Anyone else have that problem?

For sure!
  Re: Idiazabal cheese! by foodfiend (I'm not much of a ch...)
You say 'pressed' sandwich so I am assuming it is like a panini. Except for a panini is Italian. With the manchego I would say you were at a Spanish restaurant. Not sure about the cheese but I was wondering where you were dining, what restaurant, I mean.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Idiazabal cheese! by iCook (You say 'pressed' sa...)
Karen, when people think about Pittsburgh I'm sure that the expectation of not much exciting in the way of cuisine comes to mind. But we are very fortunate to have a company, Big Burrito
http://www.bigburrito.com

which owns five diverse, unusual, and darn good restaurants.

Yesterday, I was in my favorite of the five, Kaya
http://www.bigburrito.com/kaya

which fuses Caribbean, South American, and Asian cuisines but they do not limit themselves to those regions' common ingredients. If you click "Menu" on the Kaya website, you'll see what I mean (check out the bar stools!). I get a lot of inspiration there for my entertaining at home.

Yesterday I ordered from the Todo En Uno part of the lunch menu (smaller sandwiches with two sides: soup,
sweet potato fries, spicy slaw or petite salad) so I greatly enjoyed the Pressed Manchego and Idiazabal Sandwich (arugula, plantain chips, lime oil), watermelon gazpacho, and the petite salad (mesclun Greens with lime cilantro vinaigrette, pepitas).

Alas, today for lunch I am eating leftover Indian...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Idiazabal cheese! by foodfiend (Karen, when people t...)
Whole Foods carries Idiazabal cheese! So our little 'cheesemonger' ought to be able to tell us a lot about it. I did read it is similar to a provolone.

P.S. to add - somehow this post got over in the "Goat Cheese Ideas" I knew I had posted it somewhere...

"AHA! Whole Foods carries it, so our little 'cheesemonger' ought to know about it. This article says the flavor is similar to provolone.

http://www.marketuno.com/spanish-food/ch.../20081221/
Will be looking for this cheese, that's for sure"

Now it's where it's supposed to be.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Idiazabal cheese! by foodfiend (Karen, when people t...)
I love the bar stools! Made me think of Ricci Ricardo! What a cute place and interesting fusion of cuisines. The only fusion cuisine we have around here is the hot dog stand at the local gas station. They are only open in the summertime and have German/Mexican thing going with the chili dog . lol
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Idiazabal cheese! by cjs (Whole Foods carries ...)
Quote:

Whole Foods carries Idiazabal cheese!

This does sound interesting: I LOVE sheep's-milk cheeses. Of course, I'll probably never see it around here, though I AM glad I can get Manchego, since it's my favourite.

Just a humorous side note: I forget where it was (another forum or, actually, I think it was a blog), but not too long ago I heard someone refer to Whole Foods as "Whole Paycheck." Got THAT right! Call something "whole," "healthy," "herbal," or "organic," and you can charge just about any price you want and people will buy it without even blinking (or thinking, for that matter). LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Idiazabal cheese! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

I heard someone refer to Whole Foods as "Whole Paycheck." Got THAT right! Call something "whole," "healthy," "herbal," or "organic," and you can charge just about any price you want and people will buy it without even blinking (or thinking, for that matter). LOL!

My friends have called WF that for years, since their store opened in this area. But a couple of them shop there regularly, so it can't be that bad, can it????

Since a Trader Joe's opened near the WF, I go there 95% of the time now. I love TJ's! They would probably carry idiazabal!
Vicci

my cooking adventures