ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas
  Re: (...)
I have a really nice chunk of goat cheese that I picked up at Sam's and haven't a clue what I'm going to do with it. I have some recipes I've made before, thus the purchase, but I thought I'd ask if any of you have a recipe you really like including this ingredient.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas by Gourmet_Mom (I have a really nice...)
Oh my, you're really opening the gates here, aren't you??? (I show 186 items in my MasterCook searching "goat cheese") geez.

have you done the beet and corn salad?
a pizza with sausage and goat cheese, tomatoes, etc.?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fettuccine with Tomato-Poblano Sauce and Green Chile Goat Cheese

12 ounces Fettuccine -- uncooked
2 poblano chiles
OR
2 green bell peppers
AND
1 jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
OR
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small red onion (about 1/3 cup) -- finely diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/3 cup dry red wine
1 can plum tomatoes -- with liquid
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper -- to taste
1 cup soft goat cheese
OR
1 package plain Boursin cheese -- (8 ounce)

Roast the poblanos or the green peppers and the jalapeño directly over a gas jet of the range (or under a pre-heated broiler), turning them often with a pair of tongs, until blackened on all sides. Transfer them to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand until cool. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the stem and seeds. Scrape off the blackened skin of the pepper. Cut the peppers into 1/2-inch cubes.

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Pour in the wine, increase the heat to high and boil until the wine is reduced to 1 tablespoon. Add the tomatoes and two-thirds of the peppers and heat to boiling. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the tomatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to break up the tomato pieces. Add the basil, sugar and salt and pepper to taste.

Combine the goat cheese and the remaining peppers in a food processor or blender. Process until the peppers are finely chopped and the cheese is very creamy.

Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the tomato sauce and half the cheese mixture and cook over medium heat until the cheese is melted and the pasta is coated with the sauce. Transfer pasta to a serving bowl. Serve, passing the remaining goat cheese separately.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Goat Cheese-Stuffed Mushrooms with Bread Crumbs*****

24 large cremini mushrooms (1 1/2 pounds) -- stems discarded
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves -- plus one 3-inch sprig of rosemary
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons fine bread crumbs
6 ounces fresh goat cheese -- cut into 24 pieces

Preheat the oven to 400°. In a bowl, toss the mushrooms with 3 tablespoons of the oil and the rosemary leaves and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mushrooms to a baking sheet, rounded side up. Roast for about 30 minutes, until tender and browned around the edges. Let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.

In a skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil. Add the rosemary sprig and cook over moderately high heat until the leaves are crisp, 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels, then strip off the leaves. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the rosemary oil and reserve it for another use.

Add the bread crumbs to the skillet and toast over moderate heat until golden and crisp, 2 minutes. Stir in the fried rosemary leaves and season with salt and pepper.

Gently press a piece of goat cheese in the center of each mushroom, sprinkle with the bread crumbs and serve.

Make Ahead
The goat cheese–filled mushrooms can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature and sprinkle with the bread crumbs just before serving.

Description:
"F&W - made these in Port Townsend for our anniversary weekend. Delicious!"

and don't forget this ugly appy, but oh so darn good!! These would be good on a salad too, I think.

Honey-Peppered Goat Cheese with Fig Balsamic Drizzle

1 pkg. log fresh goat cheese (or 4 3-oz. logs) -- (11 oz.)
1/3 c olive oil
1/2 c honey
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
Fig balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar
Garnish: fresh thyme
Lahvosh or other cracker read

Using a sharp knife, carefully slice goat cheese in 1/2”-thick slices.
Place cheese in an 11”X7” dish or other serving platter.

Drizzle with oil.
Combine honey and pepper, drizzle over cheese.
Sprinkle with 1 tsp. thyme leaves.
Cover and chill up to 2 days

Remove cheese from frig 1 hour before serving.
Just before serving, drizzle a little vinegar over cheese.
Garnish. Serve with lavosh or cracker bread

Southern Living Christmas book

I plated on a long narrow platter and it is a pretty dish and the flavors are just great! Even the kids were eating this one.

this sounds like one William would like -

GOAT CHEESE SAUCE (FOR FILETS)

1 1/2 cups milk
3 slices white bread -- crusts trimmed, bread torn into small pcs.
1 large egg -- hard-cooked, chopped
1/4 cup goat cheese -- crumbled soft fresh, ~2 oz. (such as Montrachet)
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of ground white pepper
3 tablespoons fresh chives -- chopped
Zinfandel-glazed Shallots (see recipe)

Bring milk to simmer in small saucepan. Transfer to processor. Add bread & process till blended.
Add egg, goat cheese, garlic & mustard.
Process just till blended. W/processor running, grad. add oil & lemon juice; process till smooth.
Transfer sauce to med. pan; season to taste w/sugar, white pepper & salt.
Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; refrigerate.)

Bring goat cheese sauce to simmer. Stir in chives.
Spoon some sauce onto each of 6 plates. Place Wellingtons (or filets) atop sauce on each plate.
Divide shallot & any glaze (see recipe) among plates.

GOAT CHEESE, ARTICHOKE, AND SMOKED HAM STRATA

2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup olive oil
8 cups 1" cubes sourdough bread -- crusts trimmed
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
12 ounces soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet) -- crumbled (about 3 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
12 ounces smoked ham -- chopped
3 jars marinated artichoke hearts -- (6 1/2 ounce) drained, halved lengthwise (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 cup grated Fontina cheese -- (packed)
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan -- (packed)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Whisk milk and oil in large bowl. Stir in bread. Let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.

Whisk cream and next 5 ingredients in another large bowl to blend. Add goat cheese. Mix herbs in small bowl to blend.

Place half of bread mixture in prepared dish. Top with half of ham, artichoke hearts, herbs, and cheeses. Pour half of cream mixture over. Repeat layering with remaining bread, ham, artichoke hearts, herbs, cheeses, and cream mixture. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)

Bake uncovered until firm in center and brown around edges, about 1 hour.

Makes 8 servings.

Bon Appétit

December 1997

Description:
"I had a catering customer who ordered this dish for every brunch she hosted."

Serving Ideas : This strata is ideal for Christmas morning - it is assembled a day ahead and baked just before serving. Mimosas are a nice addition to the menu.

-----

Guess I'd better quite and leave room for some ideas from others (that I would love to get also!!! )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas by cjs (Oh my, you're really...)
Boy is that first one calling my name! I was thinking about some kind of pasta tomato thing! We LOVE the pasta dish with the candied tomatoes, but I don't want to wear it out. Although, William would flip over the sauce for steak.

I'm with you, though. Let's see what everyone else comes up with. This is kinda fun! It kinda helps me get over my missing MC files.

Speaking of which, now that Amazon uses USPS for some items, and don't tell you, your stuff can get sent back to seller! I shipped to William's office (anticipating UPS or FedEx), not his or our PO box...DANG IT!
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas by Gourmet_Mom (Boy is that first on...)
Boneless chicken (pounded out) stuffed with goat cheese, basil and green onions. It was one of my "fancy" meals I started out making about 15 years ago. Still love it, still make it.
  Re: Re: ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas by Trixxee (Boneless chicken (po...)
HMMMM? Wonder how this chicken would be served on the Fettuccine with Tomato-Poblano Sauce and Green Chile Goat Cheese? And I've got everything to do both...whacha think?
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas by Gourmet_Mom (HMMMM? Wonder how t...)
Quote:

HMMMM? Wonder how this chicken would be served on the Fettuccine with Tomato-Poblano Sauce and Green Chile Goat Cheese? And I've got everything to do both...whacha think?

Oh yes, that would be quite good!!!

I adore goat cheese, but Jack doesn't, so I'm limited to when I can enjoy it.

Okay, my favorite recipe... hmmm, I can't decide... so I'll first post an incredible goat cheese-stuffed turkey burger recipe from Bon Appetit. Eating this is the highlight of my summer. The seasonings in the burger compliments the goat cheese so well, and the relish is delicious, but the recipe makes a lot of it!. I mean, 4 7-ounce jars of roasted red peppers and 1-1/2 cups of onion to make a relish for 6???

Goat Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Roasted Red Pepper Relish
Bon Appétit | July 1996

The goat cheese and relish keep these burgers especially moist. For a nice variation, omit the goat cheese, and top the turkey burgers with sliced Havarti or Monterey Jack cheese during the last few minutes of cooking. Set out bowls of pickles and olives, and pour chilled Chardonnay throughout the meal.

Yield: Serves 6

ingredients
1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
6 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 tablespoons soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)

6 whole wheat, hamburger buns

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 7-ounce jars roasted sweet red peppers, rinsed, drained, patted dry, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
3 teaspoons finely chopped garlic

4 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

preparation

For Burgers:

Combine turkey, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, lemon peel, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl. Mix well. Divide turkey mixture into 6 equal portions. Form 1 portion into two 4-inch diameter patties. Place 1 tablespoon goat cheese atop 1 turkey patty; place second patty atop cheese. Seal patties at edges to enclose cheese. Repeat with remaining 5 portions. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill burgers until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Grill hamburger buns, cut side down, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Place turkey burgers on bottom half of buns. Top burgers with Roasted Red Pepper Relish, then bun tops and serve.

For Relish:

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red peppers and sauté 2 minutes. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.

Mix vinegar and sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Stir vinegar mixture into red peppers. Mix in mustard and cayenne pepper. Season with salt. Continue cooking relish until all liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes. Cool to room temperature. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.) Makes about 2 cups.

Now, from an old issue of Cooking Light, this is sooooo good with the goat cheese and artichokes and lemon stuffed in the chicken...

I usually, after removing the pan from the oven, make a quick pan sauce with some chicken broth and thyme, thicken a bit with a little cornstarch, and serve it over the chicken.

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Artichokes, Lemon, and Goat Cheese

You can stuff the chicken breasts and chill up to 4 hours before cooking.

2 1/2 tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 (3-ounce) package herbed goat cheese, softened
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine first 6 ingredients; stir well.

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Top each breast half with 2 tablespoons cheese mixture; roll up jelly-roll fashion. Tuck in sides; secure each roll with wooden picks.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Wrap the handle of pan with foil, and bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until chicken is done.

Yield: 4 servings

CALORIES 234 (30% from fat); FAT 7.8g (sat 3.5g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.5g); IRON 1.6mg; CHOLESTEROL 78mg; CALCIUM 49mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.2g; SODIUM 545mg; PROTEIN 33g; FIBER 1.5g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2003

Another of my favorite goat-cheese-containing recipes is just a simple mixed-green salad with blueberries and goat cheese then a blueberry vinaigrette poured over and pecans sprinkled on top.

Great. I finished dinner only an hour ago and now I'm really hungry!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Post deleted by cjs
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas *DELETED* by cjs (Post deleted by cjs...)
So, I'm trying Jean's Fettuccine with Tomato-Poblano Sauce and Green Chile Goat Cheese with Trixxee's Stuffed Chicken and a simple salad on the side. I'm saving your Goat Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Roasted Red Pepper Relish for later Vicci. We just had blue cheese stuffed burgers Sunday. I'm very interested in the one with artichokes. We have had artichoke at a restro, but have never tried the jarred kind. This might be a good one to try it out!

Thanks you guys! Keep 'em coming if you got 'em!
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas by Gourmet_Mom (So, I'm trying Jean'...)
Definitely have to try those burgers!

Here's something I just threw together once, when I had some extra goat cheese. I worked out pretty well, so I kept it in my notes:

Goat Cheese Spread/Dip

Ingredients:
  • 3 Oz Goat Cheese
  • 2 Tbsp Very finely minced red pepper
  • 2 Pieces of sun-dried tomato, very finely minced
  • 1 Large clove of garlic, crushed or very finely minced
  • 1 Tbsp Sour cream
  • 1 Tsp Extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and white pepper to taste

In addition, there's always:

Chicken Bryan: Like Carrabba's
Serves : 6; Prep. Time : 0:55

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbls. minced garlic
  • 1 Tbls. minced yellow onion
  • 2 Tbls. butter
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2/3 cup cold butter - sliced
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. white pepper
  • 6 boned, skinned chicken breast halves
  • extra virgin olive oil - for brushing
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 8 oz. caprino OR other goat cheese - room temperature
Instructions:
  1. Sauté garlic and onion in 2 Tbls. butter in a large skillet over medium heat until tender.
  2. Stir wine and lemon juice into skillet, increase heat to medium high, and simmer to reduce by half.
  3. Reduce heat to low and stir in cold butter, one slice at a time.
  4. Stir in tomatoes, basil, kosher salt, and white pepper; remove from heat; set aside.
  5. Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
  6. Grill chicken over hot coals 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
  7. A couple of minutes before chicken is done, place equal amounts of cheese on each breast
  8. Spoon prepared sun-dried tomato sauce over chicken.

Of course, don't forget to mix it with herbs, to taste, as a stuffing for stuffed, baked tomatoes. Above all, never neglect to use goat cheese on pizza! YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: ISO- Goat Cheese Ideas by labradors (Definitely have to t...)
Thanks for the dip recipe, Labs, it is making my mouth water at 10am! Goat cheese and sundried tomatoes... yum... the chicken recipe, too...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com