Kitchen Tools Q!
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

Hope your Labor Day was safe and fun!

I usually do Cornish Game Hens for Labor Day and was looking up recipe ideas in issue 45. [Email]C@H[/Email] has an awesome-looking Orange Marsala Game Hen recipe in there, and I could do it, except for one thing. The recipe calls for orange zest cut into very thin strips. I have a tool to do this, or thought I did, but it's not sharp enough to cut into the zest and I'm not knife-savvy enough to be able to do this.

Does anyone here know of such a tool to make long strings out of zest?

Thanks in advance,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Kitchen Tools Q! by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Hope...)
Hi Barbra, I've done that recipe before and we loved it. I just grated the orange rind with a micro planer, or maybe in the food processor. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, it's a good recipe and any way you get the zest off will be ok, IMHO
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Kitchen Tools Q! by farnfam (Hi Barbra, I've don...)
Cis,

I will try this sometime. I have a super microplaner that Santa got me, but would just love to make those zest strips cause they look so cool!

Thanks!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Tools Q! by BarbaraS (Cis,[br][br]I will t...)
I think this might be what you are looking for...

oxo lemon zester
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Tools Q! by esgunn (I think this might b...)
Yes Erin!! Have you used this? Does it work well in making long strips of zest?

Don't ya love OXO products? I just bought their corn kernel slicer and can't wait to use it at the end of corn season to bag and freeze some fresh for the winter. Last year I was terrified using a knife to slice off the kernels. One slip and it's Four-Fingers Babs.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Kitchen Tools Q! by BarbaraS (Yes Erin!! Have you...)
Orange Marsala Game Hens? Sounds like perfection on a plate. (And I don't have the recipe, hint, hint). I do have a zester (though not OXO) and it works beautifully for those long strips. I finally broke down and bought one last year - I don't know what I was waiting for.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Tools Q! by esgunn (I think this might b...)
Quote:

I think this might be what you are looking for...

oxo lemon zester

This is what we use. Microplainer for everything else.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Tools Q! by BarbaraS (Yes Erin!! Have you...)
Barbara, for now, you could do what I do...I use my potato peeler to make wide strips. If you are wanting thinner strips like the tool in Erin's post, you could just take your knife and julienne the strips the size you want. Once you get it going, it is not hard to separate the zest from the pith. If you want the curly look, just roll them...VOILA!

I guess we were all posting at the same time...LOL!

Trixxee, I'll try to type that one up for you....just gotta figure out which book it's in...Did Barbara mention that?

UH, yep...she did. I have Volumes 7, 9, and 10...don't ask...wouldn't you know, Issue 45 is in Volume 8! We'll BOTH have to wait for somebody else to post it.

It's a shame MEMBERS PLUS is no longer available!!!!

LOOK! Jean had the same idea I use! I feel so cool!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Tools Q! by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Barbara, an easy way to get those long thin strips is to use your vege peeler - just barely use pressure and you'll be able to get the zest without the pith. If you get a little pith and want to get rid of it, just scrape with the sharp side of a paring knife gently. then cut the zest in thin strips. And they will curl nicely for granish or adding to the dish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Kitchen Tools Q! by Trixxee (Orange Marsala Game ...)
Trixee,

If you can wait until tomorrow night, I will post the recipe. I'm just getting dinner together right now. It sounds soooo good. You will need a dry Marsala for this.

Barbara