Labor Day Plans?
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by Gourmet_Mom ("Plus, it'll still b...)
Oh, "Vidalia Onion Pie" - I'd love to see that recipe an compare to my Onion gratin which we love.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by cjs (Oh, "Vidalia Onion P...)
It's a Paula Deen recipe. It just looked sooo good! And I do have that big ol' bag of sweet onions I got a Sam's the other day! The only thing I needed was the pie crust. I'd love to see your gratin recipe. While I may already have it, my MC9 software hasn't arrived. (I'd still love to know who borrowed my original and didn't return it! ARRRGGGG!) Here you go!

Vidalia Onion Pie
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Serves: 8 servings
3 cups thinly sliced Vidalia onions
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep-dish pie shell
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk (I'm using half and half...what I've got)
1 1/2 cups sour cream (She recommended not using lite, but that's what I've got)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until lightly browned.

Put the pie pan on a sheet pan. Line the bottom of pie crust with the onions.

In a small bowl, beat the eggs and the flour together to combine. Add the milk, sour cream and salt. Mix well and pour over the onions. Garnish with the bacon and bake until firm in the center, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and serve.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by Gourmet_Mom (It's a Paula Deen re...)
Vidalia onions have never really impressed me that much. I can understand using them raw, on a burger, to tone things down a bit, but I LOVE onions SO much that cooked Vidalias take like next to nothing for me. When I eat onions, I want to TASTE onions. That's just my two cents (adjusted for stimulus and bailouts), but I do know that lots of people love them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by labradors (Vidalia onions have ...)
Daphne, I'm sure you have this - and it's waiting out in LaLa land for your computer to catch up with you

* Exported from MasterCook *

Onion Gratin

4 cups onions -- sliced (3 large white)
5 T. butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425°

Sauté the onions in butter until transparent and place in a buttered 1 1/2-qt. au gratin dish or flat casserole.

Beat eggs until light; add sour cream and salt & pepper and combine; pour over onions and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top begins to brown. Serves 8

Fran from Cooking.com suggested this: Sounds delicious---will have to try!!! Do you think this recipe would work cooked in mini-muffin pan, for individual appetizers?
(note to me: try the miniature soon)

Description:
"This makes a wonderful side dish for just about any meat or poultry. (used to be known as "Gourmet Onions""
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by cjs (Daphne, I'm sure you...)
Honestly....I don't know what I was thinking, having that software delivered to the office. With so little work, the girl that does the maps only comes in as needed, and William only goes when there's work....DUH!! I guess I'll get it eventually.

Interesting! This is very much like the pie recipe. I think I'm going to have to add parm to the pie...although, I'm not sure how that will go with the blue cheese in the burgers. I'll sleep on it. Thanks, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by BarbaraS (Well tomorrow I'm do...)
OMG!! Awesome recipe for ribs!! Tender and totally tasty!!

I've never done ribs in an oven slow and low in a liquid sauce, but it works! They were as tasy as a dry rub in a dry oven and just as moist.

The apple and bourbon infused flavors were awesome and tasty! They were sticky and sweet and a do-again from the hubby. He rates them a 9 out of 10. Yay!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by BarbaraS (OMG!! Awesome recip...)
Block party This is our 7th year we shut down the block and everyoned brings food. We're so busy with our lives and with family that so few stop to talk to their neighbors anymore. So we try to get together at least 2-4 times a year and eat and catch up.

It's so much fun I'll try and get pictures.
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by BarbaraS (OMG!! Awesome recip...)
Quote:

I've never done ribs in an oven slow and low in a liquid sauce, but it works! They were as tasy as a dry rub in a dry oven and just as moist.

Funny you should put it that way, since I had never had dry rub - only liquid sauces on ribs until I was 30 and the restaurant "Red, Hot & Blue" got me hooked on dry-rub ribs, and I never turned back.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by Gourmet_Mom ("Plus, it'll still b...)
We went to the lake house for just over a day and that was our "celebration", but the boat traffic was getting to be too much when we left, so I'm glad to be back at the farm.

I've started to pack for our 2 weeks at the beach (leaving next Saturday morning), so that kind of preparation will be taking up the next several days. I will, however, grill our traditional goat cheese-stuffed turkey burgers for dinner Monday. We will eat on the patio, light the torches, and have one last summery evening (even though it has felt like autumn for the past week-- wah!!!).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Labor Day Plans? by foodfiend (We went to the lake ...)
Barbara - Brown Sugar and Bourbon Ribs are one of our favorites!! haven't done them for a while, it's time.
www.achefsjourney.com