Need Green Tomato Help!!
  Re: (...)
I'm just getting to be a green tomato flavor fan - but what I don't know is at what stage are they best to be used? Just before turning green? When still a hard green? I want to play with them more this year, so need to know. thanks!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Need Green Tomato Help!! by cjs (I'm just getting to ...)
My grandmother always did green tomatoes just as they started to get a little give. Not hard, but not soft or changing colors.

Now I've never done them myself. What are you going to make?
  Re: Re: Need Green Tomato Help!! by DFen911 (My grandmother alway...)
What Denise said, use with a little give. My inlaws make green tomato relish every year to put on hamburgers. It's slightly sweet and has a tiny bit of a scotch bonnet for a little heat. Really good.

They also like to eat them fried, but I can't remember if I liked them.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need Green Tomato Help!! by Mare749 (What Denise said, us...)
DH has been using them every morning with his eggs. Not sure how he prepares them, will ask if you are interested. I can't have a lot of fresh tomatoes, but have always wondered what they were like after I saw the movie. Are you just frying them or making pie or ??? BTW, there is an interesting recipe for green tomato pie in the August issue of the FN magazine.
  Re: Re: Need Green Tomato Help!! by Cubangirl ( DH has been using t...)
"August issue of the FN magazine." ?? Not popping into this old mind what that is...

Last summer, I had a heck of a time ripening most of my tomatoes (those were the B.G. days) and I collected a lot of 'green' tomato ideas. A couple of them we really enjoyed - one was a pasta sauce and if I can find it I'll do again. But I also wanted to try the recipe for 'Old-fashioned Mustard Pickles' that I asked about in another thread. Green tomatoes are called for along with cauliflower and cucs.

Another thing I want to master since so many folks have told me over the years how much I should be liking these little devils is fried green tomatoes. Using the correct ripeness will probably help!

"using them every morning with his eggs. Not sure how he prepares them, will ask if you are interested." yes, I'd be interested in hearing about his dish.

B.G. = before greenhouse
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Green Tomato Help!! by cjs ("August issue of the...)
He likes to use them when they first start to blush. But, he did say it's a personal thing, many like the hard green.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Need Green Tomato Help!! by Lorraine (He likes to use them...)
Lorraine..... Lorraine..... Lorraine, I think I used to know someone with this name..... Where the h*ll have you been? almost sent out the dogs for you.

O.k., I've got some at this exact stage, so will start playing. But, he is confusing me with "many like the hard green"
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Green Tomato Help!! by cjs (Lorraine..... Lorrai...)
Sorry, FN=Food Network magazine.
  Re: Re: Need Green Tomato Help!! by Cubangirl ( Sorry, FN=Food Netw...)
Aha, I've heard about the magazine, but have not seen one yet. I guess they would be available at markets?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Green Tomato Help!! by cjs (Aha, I've heard abou...)
I got the first issue at Costco and then got a good deal for a subscription from Amazon (I have to admit I am a food magazine and cookbook junkie ) It has great graphics and so far there has been at least one thing in each issue I want to make. The recipes are available online, but I like looking at the issues and then finding the recipes I want online and copying them to Living Cookbook.