Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?!
  Re: (...)
I am not sure what went wrong with this project. Hopefully someone here can point out my error.

I harvested my basil and some parsley. Washed it, dried it and stemmed it. Put it in the food processor with garlic, pine nuts, olive oil and some salt and pepper. I had a lovely bright green-flecked paste that looked just wonderful and smelled great too. Then I put it in a plastic container and drizzled a layer of olive oil over it.

Later, I made some pasta (bowtie), added a large scoop of the pesto and some heavy cream. Gave it a stir and it looked great. BUT a minute or so later my pasta was a dingy, army green that looked very unappetizing. It tasted fine, but looked like something that had been sitting out for weeks.

What went wrong?!? I am know I made pesto before and froze it. Does something happen when you freeze it to keep the green color? I have never added parsley to this before, does that do something to the color? When I look at the clear container the pesto has retained the bright color. It's just when it is mixed with the warm pasta that it seems to turn dull green.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?! by iCook (I am not sure what w...)
hmmm, sure don't know what happened, Karen. I quite often add parsley (or spinach) and pretty much make it as you do. Never noticed a bad coloring when added to pasta, tho.

Hopefully, someone will have some ideas for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?! by iCook (I am not sure what w...)
Karen, I have the same bad luck with pesto. I'll be looking forward to the advice on this thread.
  Re: Re: Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?! by HomeCulinarian (Karen, I have the sa...)
I add parsley only to help keep it green, not for flavor. I love flavor basil gives. When I freeze it in containers I do lay a plastic wrap sheet directly on top of the pesto, mash out all the air and place the top of the container over the wrap. I also wrap the small servings I freeze in ice cube trays with plastic wrap.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?! by HomeCulinarian (Karen, I have the sa...)
Don't know about this. I've never added cream to pesto. To me, for normal use and the maximum flavour and colour, pesto is added directly to the pasta A) without heating the pesto and B) without adding anything else. Thus, it sounds like the cream just diluted the colour of the pesto by dissolving and or dispersing some of its ingredients. Certainly, when considering just the colours, I would expect that if you had a dark, bright green, and added an off-white, cream colour to it, you would get a lighter, less-vibrant shade of green, and that is exactly what you got.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?! by labradors (Don't know about thi...)
cream? what cream? OH, I see added with the pasta. Huh, yeah that might do it. I just use the pesto as a sauce. Missed that completely.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?! by cjs (cream? what cream? O...)
I had the problem with no cream. I didn't cover mine with the plastic wrap first, though.
  Re: Re: Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?! by HomeCulinarian (I had the problem wi...)
Well I have often added cream to pesto and never had this problem. Usually it just looks creamy with bright green flecks in it. I have done this with both commercial pesto and the homemade variety. It looks very pretty and softens the pesto flavor for those who may be leary of the 'green' sauce.

Oops! I did forget a detail! I took out my pine nuts and they were a year old (maybe even two years), looked a little dry so I used toasted walnuts instead. Could this be my problem?
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?! by iCook (Well I have often ad...)
Well 2 things.

When I do my pesto I add a few drops of lemon juice. Now in school they had us blanch the basil for like 5 seconds and then put into an ice bath.

Walnuts have a lot more oils than pinenuts so that could have been a contributor.
  Re: Re: Pesto Problems - What went wrong?!?! by DFen911 (Well 2 things.[br][b...)
I've done mine with Alfredo recently with no problem.

I have also subbed walnuts...I don't recall the color, but I do recall being VERY unhappy with the results. The part I DO remember was the texture. I will NEVER make that sub again!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.