I'd like to make chicken liver cognac pate
  Re: (...)
I have a pound of frozen chicken livers.
I'd like to make a flavorful and delicious pate from scratch.
I do have cognac, pistachios, bacon, eggs [for hard cooking] for addition.

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share?

I don't wish to make one using gelatin.
I do have it, but don't like gelatin.

Thank you.
...of all the things to cherish most in 'this' life, it's the love of a little one...
  Re: I'd like to make chicken liver cognac pate by WannaBeTVChef (I have a pound of fr...)
I can give you a traditional jewish/Russsian chopped liver recipe.

Chop a couple of onions and carmelize them (the longer they cook the sweeter they get. Take out from the frying pan and add liver. Add Salt and pepper to taste and maybe half a teaspoon of sugar. Add a small amount of water and cook the liver for like 10-15 min. Throw liver in the blender or i have one of those hand held ones that you can cream soups with. Add 2-3 chopped hard boiled eggs, fried onions and mix it all together.
  Re: Re: I'd like to make chicken liver cognac pate by piano226 (I can give you a tra...)
I have a couple of 'cheap & dirty' recipes that I used to do for catering using chicken livers, but here's the one we made while I was in school. Haven't made it for a long time, but we all sure enjoyed it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Liver Paté

Recipe By :The American Culinary Federation
Serving Size : 18

1 1/2 pounds Chicken livers -- cleaned, sinew removed
16 fluid ounces Milk -- or as needed for soaking
1/4 teaspoon TCM (tinted curing mix)
1 ounce Salt
8 ounces Fatback -- medium dice
3 ounces Bread flour -- unsifted
2 ounces Shallots -- minced
1 1/3 ounces White breadcrumbs -- fresh
2 teaspoons Powdered gelatin
1 teaspoon White pepper -- ground
1/2 teaspoon Allspice -- ground
1/2 teaspoon Dry mustard
1 fluid ounce Sherry wine
3 each Eggs
2 each Garlic cloves -- minced
6 fluid ounces Heavy cream

Soak the chicken livers in the milk with 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the TCM for 12 to 24 hours. When ready to use, drain well and pat dry with paper towels.

In a blender, combine the liver with the fatback, flour, shallots, breadcrumbs, gelatin, spices, sherry, eggs, and garlic. Purée the mixture to a smooth, loose paste.

Pass through a wire-mesh strainer into a stainless-steel bowl.

Stir in the cream.

Let mixture rest under refrigeration for 2 hours. Pour into a terrine mold or individual molds that have been lightly brushed with oil or lined with plastic wrap, cover, and poach in a 170°F water bath in a 300°F oven to an internal temperature of 165°F, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Press with a 1 pound weight and chill overnight under refrigeration before unmolding and slicing.

Yield:
"2 pounds"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

oh crap, it calls for gelatin, which looking at my others all call for it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'd like to make chicken liver cognac pate by cjs (I have a couple of '...)
OML

looks fabulous
can I not use the tint stuff tho?
...of all the things to cherish most in 'this' life, it's the love of a little one...
  Re: Re: I'd like to make chicken liver cognac pate by piano226 (I can give you a tra...)
I've seen this in Deli's.
Bet it's good on deli rye bread.
  Re: I'd like to make chicken liver cognac pate by WannaBeTVChef (I have a pound of fr...)
Sorry, I don't do liver in any form. It will never pass between my lips again.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: I'd like to make chicken liver cognac pate by Old Bay (Sorry, I don't do li...)
Here's the best! This was my dad's favourite for years, until the restaurant from which it came closed. Since then, my mom has made it a few times, but it's not exactly everyday fare. LOL!

This pâté recipe from the Colebrookdale Inn in Pennsylvania is from a book of recipes from Pennsylvania Inns. We went to the Colebrookdale Inn a number of times and, although pâté isn't really my thing, my dad could vouch for how well this recipe matched what the restaurant actually served.

Also, NO GELATIN!

The Colebrookdale Inn
Chicken Liver Pâté with Peppercorns and Cognac

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup celery tops
  • 12 black peppercorns
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped Spanish onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 pound chicken livers
  • 4 tablespoons cognac
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoon green peppercorns, drained and divided
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
Instructions:
  1. Tie celery, black peppercorns and bay in cheesecloth bag and simmer in saucepan with 2 quarts water for 15 minutes.
  2. In sauté pan, melt butter, Add onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, covered, over low heat until onion is limp and lightly colored (yellow), about 15 minutes.
  3. Trim all fat from livers. Add to seasoned water. Poach, barely simmering about 10 minutes. Do not overcook. Livers should be pale pink inside. Discard water and herbs.
  4. Combine livers, and onions in processor or blender. Add Cognac, allspice, salt, and 4 teaspoons green peppercorns. Process until very smooth, scraping down sides.
  5. Add cream; pulse blend just to incorporate.
  6. Transfer to bowl. Stir in remaining 2 teaspoons of green peppercorns. Cover closely with plastic wrap to keep air from surface. Chill 6 hours. Serve small scoops or pack into crock for dip. Makes about 2 cups. May be made 1 day ahead.
Suggestions for serving:
  • Arrange dark pumpernickel rounds, cornichons, nicoise olives, a tomato crown and quail egg crowns filled with chopped egg yolk and diced onion around 2 oval scoops of pâté.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: I'd like to make chicken liver cognac pate by labradors (Here's the best! Th...)
I have not made this. It's a dish that there would have to be an occasion for.
It looks delicious and please forgive me for not addressing and thanking you.
Not sure if I even remember the various postings I've been involved In
in the web site. I'm still very new, again Im sorry for forgetting.
OMG--no help from me--I'm outa here!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Oops, forgot the chicken liver cognac pate by WannaBeTVChef (I have not made this...)
WB, not to worry, we all collect a gazillion recipes and don't always get to them asap. You will have an occasion to use it eventually and you can let us know then how you liked it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."