Chocolate Chili Pots?
  Re: (...)
It was back a few years ago, I think it was Billyj who posted the recipe Chocolate Chili Pots. Well, my computer says it can't open that file, so could someone post that recipe again, please. Hope someone does have it still.
Thanx in advance
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Chocolate Chili Pots? by farnfam (It was back a few ye...)
Well, I couldn't find anything under that name, but for Chocolate Pot de Creme, I have a couple - but, I don't know what he posted (I don't think he ever made them, tho). Hopefully he'll come on and prove me wrong,

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHOCOLATE POT de CREME

2 cups Heavy Cream
3/4 pound bittersweet chocolate -- room temp & chopped
1 pinch cayenne
4 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons dark rum
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

In a medium saucepan, heat the cream until bubbles appear around the edge.
Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate and cayenne. Cover and let stand one minute, then stir until smooth.

Whisk the egg yokes in a small bowl, then whisk in 1/2 cup of the chocolate cream.
Return the yolk-chocolate mixture to the saucepan and whisk constantly until smooth.. Stir in the rum and butter.

Pour into eight 4 oz ramekins or small cups. Chill at least three hours or overnight.

Makes 2 cups - great for piping in small chocolate cups or demitasse cups

Description:
"When I served this dessert while I was catering I often put the chocolate mixture in espresso coffee cups and topped with coffee whipped cream and chocolate shavings."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and here's another one -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pots de Crème with Chocolate, Chile and Espresso
Serving Size : 6

2 1/4 cups light cream or half-and-half
2 dried ancho chiles-stemmed -- seeded and coarsely chopped
4 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate -- finely chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
1 Pinch salt
6 large egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
Boiling water
Lightly sweetened whipped cream and dulce de leche -- for serving

1. Preheat the oven to 325°. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer. Add the chiles, cover and set aside to steep for 45 minutes. Strain the cream into a bowl and discard the chiles.

2. In a medium saucepan, combine the chocolate and 1/2 cup of the strained cream and cook over low heat, stirring, until the chocolate is melted. Whisk in the sugar and salt. Stir the remaining strained cream into the saucepan. Gently warm the chocolate cream over low heat.

3. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks until slightly thickened. At low speed, beat in one-fourth of the warm chocolate cream along with the vanilla and espresso powder. Return the mixture to the chocolate cream in the saucepan and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.

4. Set six 4-ounce ramekins in a baking pan and divide the custard among them. Fill the pan with enough boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan with foil and poke several holes in the top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the custards are just set and a dark rim has formed around the edge. Remove the foil and let the custards cool in the water, about 20 minutes. Refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours. Serve with whipped cream and warmed dulce de leche.

MAKE AHEAD The pots de crème can be refrigerated for up to 2 days

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I know we had a thread going on this.... O.K., Cis, I found one thread -

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post19908

Hope it's what you wanted.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chocolate Chili Pots? by farnfam (It was back a few ye...)
Couldn't find it anywhere on this site, but it showed up in several places on Google, and the few that I compared were all the same, but the one from GourmetSleuth also had a note that some may consider helpful. Looks interesting!

P.S.: Aside from the fact that it's not on the Cuisine site (other than in a brief discussion, with no recipe, when it appeard in someone's "five favourites" list), the reason you weren't finding it is that you were spelling it "chili," as in a bowl of chili, but it's supposed to be "chile," as in a chile pepper.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chocolate Chili Pots? by labradors (Couldn't find it any...)
Thanx! I finally did get it open, and it seems much simpler than these. Even tho' I filed it Chocolate Chili Pots, the recipe title says Chocolate Chili or Cayenne Truffles.
I can post it if you're curious
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Chocolate Chili Pots? by labradors (Couldn't find it any...)
We've never fixed this and don't know where it came from--it's handwritten. Sounds good though-very unusual.

Chocolate-chile Pots de Creme

1 1/4 C heavy cream
scant 2/3 C whole milk
2-6 dried chiles (mixed ancho and pasillas if possible)

Combine and heat until just barely simmering--steep 15 min. Strain and discard chiles. Add 1/8 to 1/4 t cayenne and reheat.

Place 12 oz bittersweet ( pref Ghirardelli) chocolate in a food processor. Pour hot milk mixture over and let stand 30 seconds. Process for one minute, add two eggs and quickly process another 45 sec. Pour into 1/4 C ramekins and let stand in refer 6 hours or overnite.

UNTESTED!! We may try this next week. It may need adjustment, but da-n it sounds interesting!! Jean!! Does it sound workable??
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chocolate Chili Pots? by Old Bay (We've never fixed th...)
Cis, I like the idea of the Cayenne Truffles even more. Please do post that.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chocolate Chili Pots? by labradors (Cis, I like the idea...)
yeah, Cis, this sounds like something I need to have around also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chocolate Chili Pots? by cjs (Well, I couldn't fin...)
oh my, this may cause the induction of alcohol back into my life
...of all the things to cherish most in 'this' life, it's the love of a little one...
  Re: Re: Chocolate Chili Pots? by WannaBeTVChef (oh my, this may caus...)
Moderation, 'wannabe,' moderation...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chocolate Chili Pots? by cjs (Moderation, 'wannabe...)
Ok, here's what I've got and I remember loving them!

CAYENNE OR CHILI CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES:

Ingredients:
9 ounces semisweet chocolate
3/4 cup butter
1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
6 tablespoons cream
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar (or gran. dissolve in sugar)
*Directions:

For Truffles: Melt chocolate, butter and cayenne in a bowl in the microwave. Stir well.

Remove from heat. Mix in cream and powdered sugar. Stir well. (The sugar will stick together in small lumps if you aren't vigorous about it.) Cover, and chill overnight.

comment: I used 1 1/2 tsp cayenne, and the heat was just right. The first time I made these, the powdered sugar formed little chunks that wouldn't dissolve, so the next time I used granulated sugar instead, and dissolved it in the cream before adding the cream. It came out smooth and delicious.

OR

Ingredients:
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon ground dried New Mexico chili powder
6 ounces semisweet chocolate -- coarsely chopped
Cayenne -- optional
1 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa

Directions:

Combine cream and ground in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan. Stir over low heat until chili is blended and cream is bubbly. Add chocolate and stir over low heat just until chocolate melts and blends with cream.

Taste mixture; stir in to taste if it lacks heat. Pour into a small dish, cover, and chill until firm enough to shape (1 1/2 to 2 hours).

Scoop out rounded teaspoonfuls of the mixture and quickly press and roll them into rough 1-inch balls. Roll in cocoa to coat. Place balls slightly apart on a plate, then cover and chill until firm. Truffles can be stored airtight in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.

This recipe for Chili-Chocolate Truffles serves/makes 12
Cis
Empress for Life