Cream of Green Bean Soup
  Re: Re: Cream of Green Bean Soup by alexsmom (I've been using my g...)
I just caught this. Thanks Alexsmom, for posting it!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cream of Green Bean Soup by Mare749 (I just caught this. ...)
Made this soup over the weekend. Didn't expect to like it as much as we did! Thanx again, Erin!
  Re: Re: Cream of Green Bean Soup by HomeCulinarian (Made this soup over ...)
Although the supermarket sells some green beans loose/bulk, the one that come pre-packaged in one-pound bags are usually better quality, so those are the ones I get. Thus, with a pound of beans and a recipe that only calls for half a pound, I decided to make a double batch, and I am glad I did. This was delicious!

A couple of notes, though:
  • The instructions don't say what to do with the potatoes after the mixture is cooked. Are they supposed to be left whole? Do you also purée one third of them along with one third of the green beans? Well, after I puréed one third of the beans AND one third of the potatoes, the soup didn't seem as thick and creamy as I would expect (allowing for not having added the cream, yet), so I puréed all of the rest of the potatoes. Much better.
  • Only one store in town carries chives, and not very often, so I substituted an equal quantity of green onions (which I prefer, anyway).
  • As I've mentioned before, REAL sour cream is not easy to get here, and what is sold as "sour cream" is not very good, so I usually use the local crema, instead, and that is more like what would be called "Mexican cream" in the States. Knowing the flavour difference, and just not feeling like using that this time, I substituted an equal quantity of heavy cream.
Definitely a big success, and one I'll plan on making in large batches for freezing.

Thanks, again, for posting this, Erin.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cream of Green Bean Soup by labradors (Although the superma...)
thanks for posting this recipe, Erin. We had it last night for a light dinner (we were testing a dessert and had to have room ) with a Naan. It's a wonderful flavor. I have a chilled asparagus soup that I serve with a crab timbale that is a real pain in the nect to make, and this one is so simple and fast, I'm thinking of trying it chilled with the timbale. I did taste it cold and it's good!

The only change I made was I didn't have vege stock, so used ham stock. We'll sure have this one often.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cream of Green Bean Soup by cjs (thanks for posting t...)
I'm glad this has been a winner. Easy and a good use for all those beans in the garden. I liked it cold too.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cream of Green Bean Soup by esgunn (I'm glad this has be...)
Madmax is at the store getting the ingredients for it also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cream of Green Bean Soup by cjs (Madmax is at the sto...)
Jean, do you think this would go with the Lentil and Spinach Burritos? It sure would make the meal seem more substantial. I haven't looked at the burrito recipe yet.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cream of Green Bean Soup by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, do you think t...)
Yes, it would be great with the burritos, I think. One thing, for William's sake, I'd use the smaller flour tortillas. These things were huge. It says serves 2, but it would make 4 nice size burritos.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cream of Green Bean Soup by cjs (Yes, it would be gre...)
Thanks Jean...the man needs all the help he can get...LOL! I think this may be on for later this week. It's supposed to get rainy and cooler (upper 70's) this week, so this will be nice.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.