Got CAH Issue 77 today!
  Re: (...)
Am I the first! That would be a first!

So, tonight, I left work at 5 ready to be done... called my favorite nail salon to work me in for a pedicure Then, I stopped by the little league game where hubby is helping out a young coach. What a hoot! So then I stopped at the store to get some protein for dinner and lettuce for a salad. The bone in pork chops looked good so that's what I bought. Got home to find Issue #77 in my mailbox. In it is a recipe for "Perfect Chops & Bourbon-glazed onions". So that's what I made. Discovered that the only Bourbon in the house is rare... used it anyway. This was a great dinner. Made local sweet corn and a tossed salad with home grown tomatoes salad.

Also in the magazine that looks promising...

Black Forest Tartlets
Grape Chutney
Chicken Cutlets with spicy white beans & kale
Milanese style cutlets with roasted pepper & tomato sauce
Beef Daube
Mushroom salad
Stock ... many of you are ahead on this topic!
  Re: Got CAH Issue 77 today! by HomeCulinarian (Am I the first! Tha...)
I got mine Thursday and I agree there were quite a few interesting looking recipes. I wanted to try the Pork Chop too. And the Pork roast, cutlets and of course the Black Forest Tartlets. If I will or not is another question.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Got CAH Issue 77 today! by smschwag (I got mine Thursday ...)
I sure wish someone could teach me how to cook pork. It always comes out dry and tough.

I'm sure there is one thing that each cook avoids, and mine is pork.

Sally
  Re: Re: Got CAH Issue 77 today! by lxxf (I sure wish someone ...)
I used to have that problem with pork chops until I started browning them on both sides then putting them in a 350 oven to finish cooking. Since I have been preparing them that way they are always moist.
Shirley
  Re: Re: Got CAH Issue 77 today! by smschwag (I used to have that ...)
Sally, you might try brining them first - I (99% of the time) usually do it with pork. Sure helps the tenderness and moistness.

Nothing here yet. Hmmmm, the chix and bean dish sounds good. And the pork you made!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Got CAH Issue 77 today! by cjs (Sally, you might try...)
I got my issue today and am very pleased. I am not a professional cook and I appreciate the "how to" info. I loved the article on stocks and there were quite a few interesting recipes. I especially liked the chili one, but I will use ground chuck.
  Re: Re: Got CAH Issue 77 today! by coco hernandez (I got my issue today...)
MMmMmmMm pork....**drools**

I'm sorry you were saying?
  Re: Re: Got CAH Issue 77 today! by DFen911 (MMmMmmMm pork....**d...)
Got mine yesterday and immediately looked through it - great issue. So many things I want to make.

For those who have not made stocks before - a quick look at the directions looks like C@H covered all the salient points of a good stock - cold water (and more cold when adding), never stir, never boil, roast the bones first. Great stock articles.!!

It was a little chilly yesterday when I got the magazine and man, did the chili look good on the cover!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Got CAH Issue 77 today! by cjs (Got mine yesterday a...)
Still haven't gotten mine. Can't wait.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Got CAH Issue 77 today! by Dismc (Still haven't gotten...)
Mine came this week also. So far, it looks like a pretty great issue with several dishes that sound good. I thought the article on making stock was very informative and I make stock all the time. Just goes to show, we can always learn something new.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."