Steamed Summer Squash with Warm Leek Vinaigrette
  Re: (...)
Posted that I planned to make this tonight on the "what's for dinner" thread, so here it is... We thought it was a very good, and easy way to make squash. This is from The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook. 63 calories per serving.

Steamed Summer Squash with Warm Leek Vinaigrette

2 yellow crookneck squash (about 1/2 # total weight)
2 zucchini (about 1/2 # total weight)

Vinaigrette
2 T EVOO
1 leek, including tender green top, finely chopped (about 1 cup, 4 oz)
1 T vege stock (I used chicken because that's what I had)
1 T rice vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1/2 teasp salt
1/4 teasp pepper

Trim stems from squash, halve lengthwise and then cut the halves crosswise on the diagonal into slices 1/2 thick. Set aside.

To make the vinaigrette, in a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leek and saute until soft, 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vege stock, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.

Meanwhile, in a large pot fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch water to a boil. Add the squash and cover, steam until tender, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the squash to a warmed serving dish. Add the vinaigrette and toss gently to mix. Serve immediately.

The leek vinaigrette is also delicious over grilled fish.

So, I made grilled salmon also, and reserved part, maybe 1/4 of the vinaigrette to put on the salmon. Also made a rice pilaf and a tomato salad. Very nice dinner. College boy was home doing laundry and joined us. He even liked it!
  Re: Steamed Summer Squash with Warm Leek Vinaigrette by HomeCulinarian (Posted that I planne...)
I like the chicken stock--sounds wonderful--we love squash!! Not to mention leeks!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Steamed Summer Squash with Warm Leek Vinaigrette by HomeCulinarian (Posted that I planne...)
Quote:

1 leek, including tender green top, finely chopped (about 1 cup, 4 oz)

Is it POSSIBLE to use just ONE leek? LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Steamed Summer Squash with Warm Leek Vinaigret by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
thanks for posting this, Jeanette! I can see the vinaigrette over some of my grilled squash also. Yum.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Steamed Summer Squash with Warm Leek Vinaigret by cjs (thanks for posting t...)
It does sound light and summery. Thanks Jeanette!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Steamed Summer Squash with Warm Leek Vinaigret by Gourmet_Mom (It does sound light ...)
Perfect - I have the squash in the garden + one lonely leek. We planted 3 rows of onion plants in the spring. Things started growing and one of them did not look like the others. Bruce thought it was a weed and probably would have yanked it if I wasn't the only one in the house who weeds the garden.

I recognized it but was trying to decide what to do with just one leek - now I know!