cake mix
  Re: (...)
this is dumb to start a thread on this but I was wondering something.
it's just my husband and I.
he loves desserts and was raised on them all his life.
he likes a sweet at the end of his main meal.
I am not a lover of desserts so it doesn't dawn on me to make them.

today, I thought of taking a cake mix, I know it's sad to admit. why couldn't I use 1/2 of one and put the other half back in the freezer for doing it another time? that way, it's sure to get used and won't just sit in the kitchen waiting to be eaten up. husband can have a piece tonight and a piece tomorrow night. it'll be there for the weekend if he wants another sweet and I can portion it [and wrap it up] then set in the frig for him for later?

so, I did. it called for 3 eggs, 1 stick of butter and 2/3 cup water.
I used pyrex cake glass pan, just one, sprayed it and used half all the ingredients. for the eggs, I used one large and one small. I put it in the
"easy bake for adults" [the convection on the counter top] and so far, I think it worked.
I'll use chocolate frosting out of the can on it when it cools.

just wondered if anyone else does that or if they'd think of it?
couldn't see why it wouldn't work.
...of all the things to cherish most in 'this' life, it's the love of a little one...
  Re: cake mix by WannaBeTVChef (this is dumb to star...)
Wanna it's the same in our house. I never really had desserts as a kid, but my husband did. So make individual cakes or a pound cake and then slice it up and freeze it in vaccuum sealed bags. Real easy to pull one out and add some fresh whipped cream and berries or a nice chocolate sauce.
I have a cookbook called Small Batch Baking which might be really great for you. The recipes are easy to follow and make enough for 2 people. A toaster oven with convection bake does a great job for small batches. Not a fan of mixes and canned frosting so I've never tried freezing either. I do bake tall 2 layer cakes and then freeze one layer and slice the other horizontally so we eat less of it. I have also used Living Cookbook to scale recipes not only up, but down for 2 people as well, though I'd rather make more and freeze to have ready later.
  Re: Re: cake mix by Cubangirl (I have a cookbook ca...)
Good idea and I hope it works for you - when I make a full cake (or most desserts) for just us, I freeze most in two portion sizes so we have them at the ready when we want a little dessert.

Small Batch Baking sounds like a good book to have on hand.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: cake mix by cjs (Good idea and I hope...)
I'm going to look for that book at the library. Thanks for the tip.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I only make dessert for company. But, my first inclination would be to make the whole cake and freeze leftovers. I would not be sure that the ingredients would be evenly halved by measuring out 1/2 the ingredients.

Try making a cake from scratch to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Sally