Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!!
  Re: (...)
Well, the boys sure earned their keep yesterday!! Each got their limit (2 each) of humpback and silver salmon. All 8 are just gorgeous.

Came home and got one smaller one brining for smoked salmon today and filet another and had roasted on Asparagus with lemon-caper sauce.

This a.m., hopefully before everyone gets up, I'll get all butchered up and packaged. Had a great time and we'll sure go back there.

A fish fry has been requested for all tonight - shrimp, halibut, calamari, corn fritters - has anyone deep fried salmon???? Hmmmmm, I might have to try that. Probably add some cole slaw and I have 18 hour bread doing its thing. (how soon is Sunday night?? )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!! by cjs (Well, the boys sure ...)
Wow, I'm jealous! We love salmon! I've never fried it though. It might be rather oily for that, but it would be interesting to hear what you do if you decide to experiment.
Have fun with your company.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!! by Mare749 (Wow, I'm jealous! W...)
Now that is a feast!!

We just had broiled salmon last night. I make a mixture of 1/2 cup each sour cream and mayo, then about 3 tbls of dill, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1 tbl lemon juice. Smear real good all over the top and broil till done (depending on the thickness).

I've never deep fried salmon but it should hold really well. You can do them in puff pastry too. Cut squares and place the piece of fish on top, season with whatever type of flavor you want and bake it. The pastry puffs around the edge and is just so tasty

I really, really envy you being able to get halibut! Just got back from the store and the the halibut there is iffy looking and it's 18.99 per pound.
  Re: Re: Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!! by DFen911 (Now that is a feast!...)
My favorite is combining chopped shallots, mustard, fresh dill, sour cream and a little buttermilk to thin it out, smearing it on the salmon and baking at 350 until done. Another fave is to oil it with olive oil, spread with chopped scallions and fresh dill, dot with butter, put about 1/2 cup dry white wine, cover with aluminium foil and bake at 350 till done. Yum
  Re: Re: Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!! by lxxf (My favorite is combi...)
I'm so envious of your fresh-from-the-boat salmon! Well, except for the, um, preparing.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!! by foodfiend (I'm so envious of yo...)
The only time I've even come close to liking salmon was when a friend's fridge broke and we had to grill everything from the freezer that had started to thaw out, Otherwise, every other form of salmon I had ever tried had been too overpowering for me.

Even so, as I was browsing another site's recipes, I happened across the following recipe which may be something good for those of you who DO like salmon. It calls for canned salmon, but I'm sure it could be adjusted for fresh.

MMM Salmon Bites
Makes about 5 dozen.

Ingredients:
  • 2 7.5 oz. cans salmon, do not drain!
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 c. mayo
  • 1 tbsp mustard
  • 1 c. grated cheese (what have you…cheddar or swiss)
  • 1/4 c. finely chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 c. fine dry breadcrumbs
  • crushed cracker crumbs
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Mash salmon including juices, in a large bowl.
  3. Stir in egg,mayo, mustard, cheese, nuts and blend well.
  4. Add just enough breadcrumbs to form a mixture you can shape into 3/4 in balls.
  5. Roll each ball in cracker crumbs.
  6. Bake on lightly grease baking sheet for 10 min.
  7. Serve hot.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!! by labradors (The only time I've e...)
That does sound good, Labs. Went ahead and deep fried the salmon along with everything else in a light beer batter. It's delicious. (it's fried, so of course it would be! )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!! by cjs (That does sound good...)
Is that a light "beer batter" or a "light-beer batter"? LOL! Just kidding.

Funny thing: I can't stand drinking beer - won't even touch the stuff, but I love to COOK with beer, whether it's a beer batter (which can make almost anything palatable) or boiling bratwurst or kielbasa in beer then tossing them onto the grill.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!! by labradors (Is that a light "bee...)
I'm with you on all that - but, on a hot day, I don't pass up a cold, cold beer!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!! by cjs (I'm with you on all ...)
or a "good" gin and tonic!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."