Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes
  Re: (...)
A while back, my doctor friend, here, developed type-2 diabetes, which he does keep under pretty good control. Since the Honduras family with whom he lives are not particularly special (or varied) cooks, and since he knows I do like to cook (and he likes what I make), he has commissioned me to make some kind of meal for him, about once a week, from which he may use the leftovers for a couple of days. Therefore, I'm always looking for other recipes he may enjoy.

One thing I have learned about cooking for diabetics is that the meal SHOULD be based upon starches such as pasta, rice or potatoes. At first, that may sound like the opposite of what one would expect, but it turns out that it is actually better that way for two reasons. First, since those are complex carbohydrates, it is NOT the same as just giving them a whole bunch of straight sugar. Second, diabetic people, themselves, know their own systems (especially if they are very attentive to their blood-sugar readings), and having ample starches available in their meals allows them to take as much or as little as they like.

He is NOT super picky, but can get tired of things after a while. In addition, since he is looking for what he would call "real AMERICAN food," there ARE a couple of guidelines that I have imposed so as not to go too far afield with his tastes:
  1. Pasta or potatoes, are fine, but not too often for rice, since there is always SO much rice here.
  2. Since he wants something different from what the Hondurans would make, I tend to stay away from anything Latin-American or Mexican, so I've avoided burritos, fajitas, etc. - also, not too many beans.
  3. Not TOO spicy - especially not too HOT. He has nowhere near the tolerance to hot peppers that I do.
  4. Something he can reheat easily without a microwave (since he doesn't have one).

The lasagna soup we all know and love was a bit hit with him, as was my own lasagna. Jean's "Easy Ham & Potato Hash" got lukewarm reviews. The following recipe is one that I made recently, and was very well received. Of course, I don't want to come too close to the same thing again, though, so he can have better variety.

Pork and Noodle Casserole

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cubed cooked pork
  • 1 tablespoon shortening
  • 1 cup narrow noodles, uncooked
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 8 oz. can whole kernel corn, undrained
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup finely diced green pepper
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Brown meat in shortening in skillet. Drain the fat.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and mix.
  4. Pour into 1-quart casserole.
  5. Bake 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Actually, I doubled the recipe, since almost all of my casserole dishes are two quarts. It was delicious, and he enjoyed it, as well.

So, all of the above information should give you an idea of what I would like to find. Something for the Crock Pot would also be handy, since I could let it cook all day without using up gas for the oven that I could be using for other things.

Ideas anyone?
Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes by labradors (A while back, my doc...)
With my challenged keyboard and wiped out MC files, I can't be much help until I get my files back. I will offer two suggestions for now...Jean's Chicken and Leek Casserole and the Hamburger Pie which is EXACTLY like my GM's except her's uses canned French style green beans.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes by Gourmet_Mom (With my challenged k...)
One recipe that comes to mind is pork chops and scalloped potatoes. All you do for four servings is brown up 4 pork chops and put them in a casserole on top of 4 potatoes, sliced thin. Add 1/4 cup of milk to cream of something soup and deglaze the frying pan with it to get all the good bits. Then pour that over the casserole, cover it and baked for an hour at 350 degrees.

Another recipe that comes to mind is a ground meat casserole that my mom used to make with ground beef, canned tomatoes, macaroni, and not sure what else as I would have to look it up, but I'm sure you know what I mean. It was topped with mozzarella and baked in the oven.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes by Mare749 (One recipe that come...)
Hi,

How about Shepard pie? Basically what i do is very simple. Fry chopped onions, add ground lamb or any other kind of ground meat of your preference. Brown for a few minutes add Salt and Pepper to taste. Put in casserole dish, top with mashed potatoes and stick in the oven for 20 min at 350. It freezes really well too.
  Re: Re: Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]How about...)
I have lots of ideas for you Labs, but we're on our way fishing, so will post some for you Saturday a.m. What a nice thing to do for your friend.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes by labradors (A while back, my doc...)
This is just a slow cooker recipe for pot roast, but I always make smashie potatoes to go with it. I stick blend the veggies in the slow cooker to make a new food group that is low in carbs and calories and tastes awesome! It's from "Slow Cookers For Dummies".

Cooking time: Low 9 to 10 hours

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

2 TBS olive oil
3- to 4- pound boneless chuck or rump roast
salt and pepper
2 large onions, chopped
2 carrots, scraped and chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced thin
1 cup red wine of beef broth
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 TBS minced Italian flat parsley
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Lightly spray a 4- to 6- quart slow cooker with vegetable oil cooking spray,

Salt and pepper the meat.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat evenly on all sides. Add to the slow cooker.

Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the skillet and cook for 7 to 8 minutes over medium high heat until the onion is soft. Add the wine/broth and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper, Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Pour over the meat.

(I always add garlic to this, can't live without it!)

Cover and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours, or until fork tender. (at this point, it's falling apart, trust me)

Remove the meat and let it sit, covered for 15 minutes before slicing.

Puree the cooking liquid in a food processor, blender, or stick blend in the slow cooker until smooth. Salt to taste.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes by BarbaraS (This is just a slow ...)
Some interesting ideas, so far. Thanks! Keep 'em coming.

Since lamb is not easy to get here (and correspondingly expensive), I'll probably skip the Shepherd's Pie. One thing I have considered is a variation of Cottage Pie (same thing as Shepherd's Pie, but with ground beef or pork instead of lamb). For the most part, the beef here is not very good. It has reasonably good flavour, but can be pretty tough. Getting ground beef can help, somewhat, but it's better if it's very well browned, so I was thinking of making a meatball version of a Cottage Pie. For some reason, appetiser-sized meatballs seem to yield the best results for using the ground beef. They turn out better than just sautéing the beef, and much better than a meatloaf. In fact, when I DID make a meatloaf with it, even though it WAS fully cooked (even by internal temperature), the inside still had the texture of raw hamburger - not pleasant at all.

The pork-chop idea is actually something I've considered, but haven't done, yet, since I wasn't sure how convenient it would be for him to have to pull out a whole chop rather than just scooping out some casserole.

I have my own version of a chicken and leek casserole, but just haven't made it yet (and it only costs about $1.25 for a bundle of three leeks here). I'll look up Jean's recipe and see how the two compare and contrast.

Unfortunately, I have tried making Pot Roast here, before, and even though it was cook until it was falling apart, the individual strands of meat were like leather shoelaces.
  Re: Re: Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes by labradors (Some interesting ide...)
So, it sounds like you need to stick with chicken or pork recipes. What about fish and seafood?

Regarding the pork chops and scalloped potato casserole. That could be made into individual portions if you have small dishes to make it in. Have you checked out the Campbell Soup website for recipes? There are tons of quick and easy casserole recipes on there.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes by Mare749 (So, it sounds like y...)
Some fish, once in a while, is okay, but (in very rough terms) it's about four times the price of chicken (pork is not quite twice the price of chicken; beef is more than pork, and depends upon the cut). Otherwise, seafood is not that big a thing for him.

Have not tried Campbell's site. I should, since I can substitute Maggi or Knorr powdered soup mixes in place of the Campbell's. That's what I did with that Pork and Noodle Casserole I posted earlier. Some varieties of Campbell's ARE more available than they used to be a year ago, but (with the exception of the condensed tomato soup) the prices make them less economically attractive than they would be in the States.
  Re: Re: Crockpot, slow cooker or casserole recipes by labradors (Some fish, once in a...)
Well, I won't be able to post them this a.m., Labs. Ended up with a houseful of company (all the beds and tabletop are filled!) until Sunday night...... but looks like you have lots of ideas to get you started.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com