Chinese Coq au Vin - Sounds Good!
  Re: (...)
Just saw this this a.m. and it sure looks good. (maybe not to you all with heat waves... )

Chinese Coq au Vin

Recipe By: Rhonda Parkinson, About.com

6 dried Shiitake mushrooms
3 pound chicken -- cut into 8 pieces
1/2 pound bacon -- chopped
2 slices ginger -- cut into thin slices
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 medium onion -- peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup Chinese rice wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Salt -- to taste
Freshly ground black or white pepper -- to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or parsley -- optional
4 cups oil for deep-frying -- as needed (4 to 5)

Soften the dried mushrooms by soaking in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze out any excess water and thinly slice.

Heat 4 cups oil for deep-frying to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Deep-fry the chicken pieces until they are brown and crispy. Remove from the wok and drain. Remove all but 1 tablespoon oil from the wok.

Add the bacon and cook over medium heat until it is browned and crispy. Push up to the sides of the wok.

Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the onion and stir-fry until it is browned (about 3 minutes). Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce while stir-frying the onion. Add the mushrooms. Stir-fry for a minute.

Add the chicken back into the wok. Add the broth and wine and bring to a boil. Add the tomato paste, dark soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked (about 30 minutes). When the chicken is nearly cooked, stir in the chopped fresh cilantro if using. Serve hot

Description:
"This Chinese version of classic French Coq au Vin is made with rice wine and Asian seasonings. Serves 4."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chinese Coq au Vin - Sounds Good! by cjs (Just saw this this a...)
Geeze that sounds good. Yummmmmmmm. Thank you for sharing it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chinese Coq au Vin - Sounds Good! by Harborwitch (Geeze that sounds go...)
It does sound good, but you may want to edit that second ginger to be garlic, I assume.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Chinese Coq au Vin - Sounds Good! by chef_Tab (It does sound good, ...)
That makes sense, Theresa, I'm sure that's what it's suppose to be.

Great sounding recipe, Jean. Thanks for posting it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Chinese Coq au Vin - Sounds Good! by Mare749 (That makes sense, Th...)
Good save, Theresa - thanks!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chinese Coq au Vin - Sounds Good! by cjs (Good save, Theresa -...)
That really sounds good! Copied and saved!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.