Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th??
  Re: (...)
Well, we are finally down to the dregs of meat/poultry/fish in the freezer, so for the first time in so long I don't remember when it was I went meat shopping. What fun for a change and a great meat sale going on - perfect timing.

Picked up Beef Ribs, Pork Ribs, a Pork Loin, 2 whole chickens, value pkg. of top sirloin pcs, and a couple pkgs. from the Discount bin. I'm excited to have some new meat to play with.

But, tonight we're having fresh sweet corn tacos with l/o steak from last night. I have some fresh corn recipes I want to play with in the next month while the corn is so wonderful. I found recipes for corn fritters (a new one to try - love those little goodies), a corn salad, Bean, Corn and Squash Stew, a corn salsa, and of course lots of just grilled corn.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th?? by cjs (Well, we are finally...)
Just grilling chicken and some vegetables outside. Thinking of making some risotto to go with.

How do you make a fresh corn taco? That really got my attention!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th?? by Mare749 (Just grilling chicke...)
It got my attention also, Maryann!! Here it is -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fresh Sweet Corn Taco Recipe - Try soon

2 ears fresh sweet corn -- husk and silk removed
2 tbsp vegetable oil
8 oz chopped cooked pork -- chicken, or beef (leftover barbecue is perfect!)
1/2 lime -- juiced
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
6 flour or corn tortillas

Over a large bowl, using a sharp knife, carefully shave the corn kernels off the cob. Add the oil to a large skillet, and heat over med-high flame until hot. Add the corn and chopped meat. Cook for about 3 minutes - just time enough to heat the meat and slightly caramelize the corn. Add the lime juice, salsa, chipotle, and, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.

Turn off the heat, and stir in the cilantro. Transfer into a bowl, and wipe out the pan with a paper towel. If desired, warm the tortillas in the pan for a minute per side, and serve filled with the corn mixture.

Description:
"This fresh corn taco recipe is an excellent way to use up leftover grilled meats. The sweet, slightly crunchy fresh corn pairs perfectly with chopped pork, chicken or beef. This soft taco recipe is fresh, fast, and festive."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th?? by cjs (It got my attention ...)
Some of the street vendors, here, make some incredibly delicious corn fritters (fritas). They're VERY simple, but I don't have the info at hand right now. I'll try to post it later today, or maybe tomorrow.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th?? by labradors (Some of the street v...)
That sounds great, Jean. He's been doing all the cooking lately as I've been under the weather. Yesterday he bought a huge pork shoulder (they were on sale for .69 / lb). He put a dry rub on it, and cooked it slow overnight. He bought everything for a new recipe, Sweet Potato Tamales that has fresh corn in it. He picked a bunch of our Chinese Red Asparagus Noodle beans, so I guess that's supper.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th?? by Lorraine (That sounds great, J...)
recipe, Lorraine, recipe!!!

Are you feeling better? I figured you guys were just busy!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th?? by cjs (recipe, Lorraine, re...)
I have absolutely no idea. All this talk about tacos is making me lean that way, though.

I hope you are felling better Lorraine.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th?? by Gourmet_Mom (I have absolutely no...)
I've got a pork tenderloin out and plan to make the pan roasted version with the apricot sauce, Brussels sprouts with prosciutto from the new Weeknights book. Will probably also make some kind of potato.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th?? by HomeCulinarian (I've got a pork tend...)
Jean, that recipe sounds really good, like something we would like. Thanks for posting it. Actually, I thought it was going to be more like what Labs just posted, an actual "fresh corn taco." Anxious to hear about that one too!

I hope you feel better quickly, Lorraine.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner, Aug.6th?? by Mare749 (Jean, that recipe so...)
Not a "fresh corn taco" (as Jean posted), but a corn fritter. It started to rain too much for me to go there to ask this afternoon, so I'll see what I can find tomorrow.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?