Kitchen Sink Pickles
  Re: (...)
Browsing on the internet I found this wondeful recipe for refrigerator pickles. This is something I had never tried before and the recipe adds tons of veggies from your garden and looks quite striking. I have to try it! But I also thought I would share with you all here.

[Image: 2770106158_2483f24d39.jpg]

Everything in the Garden Refrigerator Pickles!

Crunchy, sweet-but-not-too-sweet refrigerator pickles. Not just cucumbers, either - zucchini, radishes, green and yellow string beans, cauliflower, carrots, onions, sweet and spicy peppers can all do with a proper pickling.

Pickles preserve vegetables, and canning pickles, boiling the jars, can preserve them for years. Refrigerator pickles let you skip the boiling, but they’re not going to last much more than a month. Of course, if you have pickle eaters in your house, they’ll never live that long.

Gather up your vegetables, herbs like thyme and dill, and your pickling spices. Make your brine and wait. The crunchy, tangy results ought to satisfy any sourpuss.

Recipe: Refrigerator Pickles
(Inspired by “Dinosaur Barbecue”)

Pickle brine recipe:
4 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
6 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup or more pickling spice (or mix your own from mustard seeds, bay leaves, allspice, black pepper, dill seed, cloves, coriander and cinnamon)
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh herbs like dill and thyme, chopped or sprigs (optional)

Add the salt and sugar to the vinegar and water in a non-aluminum bowl, and mix to dissolve. Add spices, garlic and herbs, if using. Pour over chopped vegetables in a big jar or bowl that will fit, covered, in your refrigerator. After three days start serving the pickles, and adding new vegetables to the pickle vat.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Kitchen Sink Pickles by iCook (Browsing on the inte...)
sounds interesting! thanks for posting another way to go. I've been 'putting up' refrigerator B&B pickles (plus cucumbers and squash rounds added) for the last couple of weeks. One container I keep in the frig for grabbing and the rest I'm processing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Kitchen Sink Pickles by cjs (sounds interesting! ...)
Sounds good to me. I do a gardenia mix of hungarian hots, carrots, celery, garlic and cauliflower that keeps in the fridge. But I never thought about beans.

Gonna try this!
  Re: Re: Kitchen Sink Pickles by iBcookin (Sounds good to me. I...)
Karen, I love this idea. What a great way to get myself to snack on veges too. The picture is so appetizing, it would be great framed.

I also have to mention that your avatar always makes me thirsty. Which is kind of sad since it is now 7:30 in the MORNING!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Kitchen Sink Pickles by iCook (Browsing on the inte...)
I just had to share, they look so pretty. I can't wait for three days to start eating them!

[Image: DSC_0002.jpg]
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Sink Pickles by esgunn (I just had to share,...)
How pretty, Erin! There you with another kids snack! Plate some of that up with some cubed cheese....SNACK TIME! Be sure to let us know how it tastes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Sink Pickles by esgunn (I just had to share,...)
It's funny: about the only place you see pickles of cucumbers here are in burger joints or American chains. Otherwise, around here, Encurtido ("pickled") is a mix of sliced carrots, onions, jalapeños and sometimes, depending who makes it, beets - all in vinegar, water, salt, sugar, whole peppercorns, garlic and bay leaves. Since I don't like beets, I stay away from the Encurtido that has beets, but the other, that has what I mentioned, without the beets, is delicious.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Kitchen Sink Pickles by Gourmet_Mom (How pretty, Erin! T...)
That's my plan Daphne! The kids love pickles and I can't keep up with the green beans growing in my garden!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Sink Pickles by esgunn (That's my plan Daphn...)
This looks very good, and so colorful. I almost wish I'd done a garden now
I think I'll look around and get some of this and that and make a batch. And Daph, I love the idea of cubed cheese...maybe a little bacon Voila appy!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Kitchen Sink Pickles by farnfam (This looks very good...)
Looks great, Erin - bet they're gone in no time!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com