I love it when I learn something NEW! and it works
  Re: (...)
The first thing - I saw it on Serious Eats (I think) was a new way to cook pasta that doesn't heat the kitchen up like an inferno.

Put your past and cold water in a pan (4 qts or just big enough to hold the pasta and some water. Put it on the stove and bring to a boil, add salt, stir, cover, and remove from the heat. Time for as long as it says to cook the pasta (a couple minutes less for al dente). It works!

We had a jinormous chuck roast (about 4" thick) that I rubbed and Bob put on the smoker. About 40 minutes before the roast was done we put a pot of Mac & Cheese in the smoker (with some home grown smoked poblanos thrown in). OMG!!!! This was the best Mac & Cheese ever - fire up the smokers!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: I love it when I learn something NEW! and it works by Harborwitch (The first thing - I ...)
Sounds good, Sharon. I was thinking the very same thing, time to put something in the smoker. Haven't tried a roast in it yet, that sounds good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I love it when I learn something NEW! and it works by Mare749 (Sounds good, Sharon....)
Sharon. That's not too different from the way the "Hamburger Helper" products work, and with those, since you cook the pasta in the sauce, you don't even have to drain the pasta. Of course, once you've seen how that works, you don't even need the "Hamburger Helper" any more - just do it yourself, with fresh ingredients and no preservatives, and pay less.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: I love it when I learn something NEW! and it w by labradors (Sharon. That's not ...)
Well I'm gonna have to try that. I guess its the same principle as when I did the lasagna last year and par cooked the noodles and then just let them soak in the sauce overnight before I baked it. I'm making the mac and cheese this Thurs for Laura who is having her wisdom teeth pulled so perfect timing on the thread
  Re: Re: I love it when I learn something NEW! and it w by DFen911 (Well I'm gonna have ...)
Me, too. It makes sense after my experience last night.

I used homemade pasta sheets (didn't cook them since they were fresh)for the Molto Manicotti last night. I wished I had left the Bechamel sauce a little thin, as it was a little dry. So it makes sense the pasta would continue to "suck up" the liquid.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.