Tempranillo Garnacha?
  Re: (...)
HELP PLEASE!

I know Bill and Jean have mentioned a Tempranillo. I was cruising the wines at Sam's today, and was pleased to note they have added a lot of nice wines! Even some of the blends, like several Shiraz-Merlot blends! (I have GOT to note labels...does it make a lot of difference? I don't think I see the same labels here you guys mention.)

But when I saw the Tempranillo, I knew this was something you guys have made special note of...so I bought a bottle. It is bottled by Greener Planet, an organic vineyard run by Lorenzo Delgado "in the windmill punctuated landscape of La Mancha." I only paid about 9 bucks for the bottle.

I'm hoping it will be a nice start for my wine tasting...we won't go there right now. ANYWAY, I need to know, what would be the best thing to serve with this? I want to have a "true" pairing experience. It's a blend of Tempranillo 80%/Garnacha 20% blend.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Tempranillo Garnacha? by Gourmet_Mom (HELP PLEASE![br][br]...)
You should really enjoy this wine. Tempranillo is the principle grape in Spanish Rioja. Garnacha is the most widely cultivated grape there and is mainly used, as here, for blending. This should not be a heavy red, but will be dark. It should have some berry flavors and if you think about it you may pick up tobacco!

I would pair it with mushrooms and maybe a filet. I love that combination.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Tempranillo Garnacha? by Old Bay (You should really en...)
Thanks Bill! I will assume you mean "beef" filet...LOL! I'll pick up two and prepare with a simple mushroom jus later this week! I am guessing wine and/or balsamic in the jus would not be a good idea this go round.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Tempranillo Garnacha? by Old Bay (You should really en...)
Quote:

... and if you think about it you may pick up tobacco!

Ew! After all the wonderful things Jean has said about this wine, I just lost all desire to try it. I have enough problem with my eyes and sinuses just walking down the Walgreens aisle where they keep the pipe tobacco, etc., that I certainly don't want any hint of that crap in a wine.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tempranillo Garnacha? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Daphne, we tried the same wine from Sam's and thought it was very good. There are a few pairing websites that you could try out. This one is pretty good and gives lots of possibilities for Tempranillo.
http://www.foodandwine.com/wine/easy/var...cfm?var=25
  Re: Re: Tempranillo Garnacha? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Bill! I will...)
Quote:

Thanks Bill! I will assume you mean "beef" filet...LOL! I'll pick up two and prepare with a simple mushroom jus later this week! I am guessing wine and/or balsamic in the jus would not be a good idea this go round.

Yes I meant beef. A little of the wine reduced in the sauce would work too.
Note to Labs--fresh tobacco flavor can add depth and not be unpleasent. Often the term "barnyard" is used to describe barolo and even some pinots--it conjurs up some unpleasent pictures, but in reality it is more earthy and full flavored with a feeling of age, savory, without sweet--tobacco and barnyard are just shorter ways to describe these tastes.
  Re: Re: Tempranillo Garnacha? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh Daphne, how fun that you found a Tempranillo!! Other things to try it with -
almost anything braised (but who's braising this time of year? )
duck and game birds
grilled foods - great with hamburgers

Have fun with it! and...let us know how you like it.

Labs, my taste buds are not as attuned to the nuances of wine tasting - I haven't picked up the tobacco in any I've had.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tempranillo Garnacha? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

...tobacco and barnyard are just shorter ways to describe these tastes.

Hmmmm.... an ashtray AND a pile of manure. Very tasty, I'm sure. LOL!

Well, thanks for the explanation. Jean, yours, too. Maybe I'll try it, one of these days. Also, I just read that the tempranillo grape is also the principal grape for making Rioja, and I do like Rioja, so that's in its favour.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tempranillo Garnacha? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
HMMMM! I'm looking at that Spaghetti with Garlicky Marsala Mushrooms and thinking....big time! I picked up some pork tenderlions yesterday and am thinking the Pork Mushroom Marsala, that we LOVE, may be the trick, also! Thanks for the site Jeanette!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Tempranillo Garnacha? by Gourmet_Mom (HMMMM! I'm looking ...)
Quote:

HMMMM! I'm looking at that Spaghetti with Garlicky Marsala Mushrooms and thinking....big time! I picked up some pork tenderlions yesterday and am thinking the Pork Mushroom Marsala, that we LOVE, may be the trick, also! Thanks for the site Jeanette!

That sounds wonderful--let me kow how it turns out. Marsala will do beautifully!!! Spanish/Italian fusion with Marsala and Rioja!