Just how much would radishes affect a dish?
  Re: (...)
Someone has just given me authentic recipes for Czech goulash and bread dumplings. The goulash recipe includes five radishes, quartered, but I don't like radishes.

Would the presence of the radishes overwhelm the rest of the flavours in the dish enough that I should not even use them in the first place, or do you think I'd be able to push them out of the way or even remove them after cooking without being turned off by the final product?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Just how much would radishes affect a dish? by labradors (Someone has just giv...)
I don't like them either, but I have found that once cooked they don't have the same pungent flavor as they do raw.

Not sure if that answers your question though
  Re: Re: Just how much would radishes affect a dish? by DFen911 (I don't like them ei...)
Yes, Denise, that does answer at least part of it. I deliberately left out such details in hope of not creating a leading question and biasing the answers. So, your answer IS helpful. Thanks!
  Re: Re: Just how much would radishes affect a dish? by labradors (Yes, Denise, that do...)
I don't care for them raw unless they are FRESH! I capitalized this because there is a HUGE difference. The ones I get from Fresh Market with the tops on are very good...I could munch on them raw and plain. The ones in the bag are so bitter and dry...YUCK...even thinly sliced in a salad, I push them aside!

Other than that, I can't help you. I have never tried cooking with them.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Just how much would radishes affect a dish? by Gourmet_Mom (I don't care for the...)
If it were me and I didn't care for radishes (which I happen to love ), I'd try the dish with the radishes and keep them large enough to pick out if you decide you don't care for biting into one. But they will definitely add a special flavor. maybe replace with turnip?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Just how much would radishes affect a dish? by cjs (If it were me and I ...)
Still deciding. I guess I could even just use carrots, for that matter. Some people with whom I've spoken are saying what's been said here: the cooking takes a lot out of them, the rest of the dish would still be okay, and peeling the radishes would reduce the bite even more. A few others have said that they have had dishes that contained even peeled radishes, and even though the radishes may not have been as pungent, they still felt that the taste of the rest of the dish was ruined.

As I said: still deciding.
  Re: Re: Just how much would radishes affect a dish? by labradors (Still deciding. I g...)
probably just be easier to learn (quickly) to like radishes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Just how much would radishes affect a dish? by cjs (probably just be eas...)
Do they teach a class for that?
  Re: Re: Just how much would radishes affect a dish? by cjs (probably just be eas...)
Quote:

probably just be easier to learn (quickly) to like radishes.

I love radishes. Pepin makes roses out of them for garnish, I do too (Jane says mine look more like tulips). Don't cook them--the crunch is part of the appeal--substitute turnip or fennel with a dash of cayenne.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Just how much would radishes affect a dish? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I remember seeing Sara Moulton sauteeing them as a side dish. At the time she said that it sweetened them and changed the flavor entirely. Although my intentions were good, I never actually tried cooking them.

I think I would sub the turnips if I felt that strongly about radishes.