Retro-Retirement Dinner Party
  Re: (...)
My crazy neighbor, Chris, is retiring - in fact yesterday was her last day working. She thinks everyone has just kind of glossed over this momentous occasion. BUT, we're having a dinner for her Sunday night and the food is all like 70s & 80s.

When we first moved in here, Chris was known as the 'town drunk' - a functioning drunk, held down her job for 35 years or so. If you could get to her first thing in the morning or at 5:15 in the evenings, she was just a delight and a hoot. But what a pain later. About 6 mos. ago when was frying chicken she somehow dumped the grease down the front of herself. Bad, bad burns. Well, this scared the bejesus out of her and she hasn't had a drink since!! She is just a delight to be around now.

And here is Chris' dinner party menu -

Smoked Oyster Dip
Lipton's Onion Dip

Macaroni and Cheese
Meatloaf Three Ways:
Smoked BBq
Muffins with Tomato Gravy
Glazed Bacon-Wrapped
Strawberry Jello with Bananas
Cuban Bread (slipping this in just cause I want to make it )

Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
Double the Yum Cake

Faux Champagne

She's going to be so surprised!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Retro-Retirement Dinner Party by cjs (My crazy neighbor, C...)
'70s?
  • Fondue
  • Hibachi
  • Cheese ball
  • Salmon ball
  • Rumaki (liver or chestnut version)
  • Meatballs (Swedish, "Hawaiian," etc.)
  • Green bean casserole (either with the French-fried onions or the almonds)
  • Plugged watermelon (i.e. remove a "plug" from a watermelon, pour in a bottle of sangria, put the plug back in, let sit overnight, slice and serve)
  • Baked Alaska
  • Cherries Jubilee
  • Baba au Rhum
  • Bacardi run cake
  • Harvey Wallbanger cake
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Retro-Retirement Dinner Party by labradors ('70s?[list][*]Fondue...)
AWWWW! Jean, you and your friend's other supporters, and there is no doubt in my mind that you all have been a great support over the past six months, are so great to celebrate her retirement in such a way as to not challenge her sobriety.

The mac and cheese with the meatloaf is SO classic! And the Lipton's dip and PB treats! But I almost fell out when I saw the Jello with bananas...school cafeteria classic! ROFLOL! There is just one exception...well two. One is that yours will taste SO much better, I'm sure. With all the research into obesity in children, they don't season ANYTHING anymore! School lunches aren't what they used to be. Two, around here they would replace the PB treats with the oatmeal/PB/chocolate thingies! You know the ones....I think you even have it in one of the cookbooks!

Well done!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Retro-Retirement Dinner Party by Gourmet_Mom (AWWWW! Jean, you an...)
Quote:

School lunches aren't what they used to be.

Well, I'm sure nobody serves the individual pizzas with a side of potato chips as they did at my middle/high schools. LOL!
  Re: Re: Retro-Retirement Dinner Party by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Labs, did you realize how many of your suggestions have booze in them????

Anyway, this menu is set in stone. The guest of honor and her mother are not real (make that 'at all') adventurous, so this is what they are getting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Retro-Retirement Dinner Party by cjs (Labs, did you realiz...)
Well, Jean, those WERE the in things in the '70s. Didn't matter much, to me, since, in the '70s, I was still a minor.
  Re: Re: Retro-Retirement Dinner Party by labradors (Well, Jean, those WE...)
and the guest of honor is an alcoholic....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Retro-Retirement Dinner Party by cjs (and the guest of hon...)
Well, since I mentioned Cherries Jubilee, it's a good thing she's not also a pyromaniac.
  Re: Retro-Retirement Dinner Party by cjs (My crazy neighbor, C...)
I love the mac and cheese and the Lipton dip--still do!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Retro-Retirement Dinner Party by Old Bay ( I love the mac and ...)
"so great to celebrate her retirement in such a way as to not challenge her sobriety."

So, I'm guessing my subtle nudge went right over somebody's head.

Oh, and Jean, I was not criticizing....just reminiscing...LOL! But I DO love those oatmeal thingies....LOL! You know, I've never made them myself successfully! That or Brown Dogs....ever heard of them? A similar sugary local favorite with a maple syrup flavor and Spanish peanuts....YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.