Plastic wrap + foil
  Re: (...)
Keep forgetting to mention this - finally remembering.

We have discussed, before, the restaurant practise of covering a baking dish with plastic wrap before covering it with aluminum foil. but I don't think we had ever reached a conclusion about doing the same thing at home (presumably because the restaurant-grade plastic wrap may be specially formulate, etc., etc., etc.). The benefit of this practise is that it helps prevent some foods (esp. with cheese) from sticking to the underside of the foil. It also seals things in better.

Well, a little over a month ago, I just decided to try it. I covered the baking dish with plastic wrap, then covered over that with aluminum foil, and I made sure that there was no plastic wrap exposed - it was all covered by the foil.

It worked perfectly, just as it always had at the restaurant, so I've used the same method again, since then - including for the lasagna I made recently.

For the record, although I DO just happen to have some food-service foil, the plastic wrap I used was a grocery-store brand from Denver, called "WonderWrap," which doesn't make any special claims or warnings, other than the usual microwave instructions and not to use it under a browning element or in a convection oven.

So, I'm happy to say that this little trick DOES work at home.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Plastic wrap + foil by labradors (Keep forgetting to m...)
Well, isn't that cool! In my reading about the Julie/Julia movie, I'm pretty sure Julie mentions that Julia "told her" to do the same. I remembered because of our discussions here. Cool to know it works! How many times have I ruined the top of a lasagna, painstakingly made totally from scratch!?!?!? But NO MORE! So the trick is...make sure none of the plastic wrap is exposed...go it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Plastic wrap + foil by Gourmet_Mom (Well, isn't that coo...)
I have occasionally been catching some of Martha Stewarts' cooking segments. I know, hold the stone throwing, I really like some of her ideas and she has wonderful chefs on that share some of their dishes. Anyway, she never actually allows food to touch foil, but places a piece of parchment over it first and then covers, or wraps with foil.

Just thought I would throw that out into the discussion. Might not be as easy to use as the plastic wrap, but you wouldn't have any worries about it melting.

BTW, Daphne, that Reynolds Release foil is the nuts! I love using that stuff on anything that has the remote possibility of sticking.
  Re: Re: Plastic wrap + foil by iBcookin (I have occasionally ...)
Actually, I stopped this practice after the first time I stuck the thawed lasagne into the oven without first removing the foil to take off the plastic wrap!

Parchment sounds like a good option for those (like me!) whose brains go on break often, never thought of that one...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Plastic wrap + foil by iBcookin (I have occasionally ...)
"I have occasionally been catching some of Martha Stewarts' cooking segments. I know, hold the stone throwing, I really like some of her ideas and she has wonderful chefs on that share some of their dishes."

Very true, I've always liked her show. Really like the idea of using parchment rather than plastic.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Plastic wrap + foil by foodfiend (Actually, I stopped ...)
I've not tried the plastic wrap at home - don't know why because I do have commerciall plastic wrap and foil - Roy built me the neatest drawer that they fit in.

But, I do almost always use parchment paper between food and foil.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com