how do you pronounce "ancho"
  Re: (...)
A friend, coincidentally one who visited us this past weekend, has a bad habit of correcting me when I mispronounce words. For years I have been saying "ann-cho", but every darn time I said it (we were talking in a group) he very pointedly interrupted with "ahn-cho". I ignored him. But for future reference, what is the correct way to say this???

Really, it doesn't happen often but he was annoying me a bit with other things he was doing (throwing recyclables in the trash, eating mango rind out of my compost tub, etc) and it just got to me! Also the magazine Saveur--- "savor", right???

Must forget about this and concentrate on this coming weekend guests...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: how do you pronounce "ancho" by foodfiend (A friend, coincident...)
Food Lovers Companion says "AHN-choh". I like to hear Labs take on this.
That's no way for a guest to act, he has no manners, "bless his heart".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: how do you pronounce "ancho" by Old Bay (Food Lovers Companio...)
Food Lover's companion is correct - ahn-cho(h)
  Re: Re: how do you pronounce "ancho" by coco hernandez (Food Lover's compani...)
"A" with no other vowels, in Spanish, is always "ah."

Ancho is the Spanish word for "wide" (as opposed to delgado for "narrow"), and refers to the fact that the Poblano peppers that are dried are wider than most other peppers (e.g. Guajillos).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: how do you pronounce "ancho" by labradors ("A" with no other vo...)
I don't remember the issue, but in one they pronounced it, as I remember and use today--"SahVOOr"
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: how do you pronounce "ancho" by foodfiend (A friend, coincident...)
Vicci, I have always pronounced it Ann - cho. Right or wrong. How about Pee Cans vs Pe Cahns. What a thing to do to you. Right or wrong - it is just rude.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: how do you pronounce "ancho" by esgunn (Vicci, I have alway...)
Shall be meeting with some French-speaking people tomorrow afternoon, and shall ask them about Saveur.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: how do you pronounce "ancho" by labradors (Shall be meeting wit...)
I did take French in high school, don't remember a whole lot, but my first thought was as Bill said, sah Voor.

I also agree with Erin, that was just rude! It's one thing if he pulled you aside to tell you, but to be so insistent and repetitive is annoying. I would forget to invite that friend ever again. Sounds like a snobbish bore. With people like that, I tend to continue to say things wrong just to irritate them.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: how do you pronounce "ancho" by Old Bay (I don't remember the...)
Quote:

I don't remember the issue, but in one they pronounced it, as I remember and use today--"SahVOOr"

I pronounce it "say-voor", I guess it's close enough! Waiting to hear what Labs finds out.

Erin, if this guy didn't bring so much to our gatherings (in many varied forms) we would be hard-pressed to keep him around. As DH says "We just need to let G. be G.!" The repeatedly correcting my ann-cho was a little annoying, though!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: how do you pronounce "ancho" by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Crass, absolutely crass - pronounced with a long 'a'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com