Beef & Fontina Tostaditos
  Re: (...)
I'm repeating posting the recipe for this because it is such an easy and oh so tasty dinner!!
[Image: BeefTostaditos.jpg]

Beef and Fontina Tostaditos
Servings 2

4 medium tomatillos -- husked and finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
1 teaspoon hot sauce
4 ounces thickly sliced roast beef -- finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded Fontina cheese -- shredded (2 ounces)
48 mini round corn tortilla chips

Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the tomatillos, red onion, cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon of the hot sauce.

In a medium bowl, combine the roast beef with the Fontina and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce. Arrange half of the tortilla chips on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spoon the roast beef filling onto the tortilla chips and top with the remaining 24 chips.

Bake the tostaditos for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the filling is hot and bubbling. Transfer to a platter. Season the tomatillo relish with salt, spoon a little on top of each tostadito and serve immediately.

Note: what I'd do differently next time - half the filling and layer 1/2 on the first layer of chips, then the rest of the filling on top of the 2nd layer of chips.

I didn't make the salsa they mentioned in the recipe, instead I made this one and it's such a tasty Tomatilla Salsa Verde

Grilled-Tomatillo Salsa Verde

1 pound tomatillos -- husked and halved
2 jalapeños -- halved and seeded
1 small onion -- sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 garlic cloves -- unpeeled
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat a grill pan. In a bowl, toss the tomatillos, jalapeños, onion and garlic with 2 tablespoons of the oil.

Grill over high heat, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly softened and charred in spots, 5 minutes. Let cool slightly, then transfer to a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped.

Add the cilantro, lime juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and pulse until chunky. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm or at room temperature.

Make Ahead
The salsa can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Serve With: Fish, shellfish, chicken, steak. or the Quick Chicken-and-Cheese Tamales

See, it needs more filling on the top chips - but, man is this a tasty light dinner.
[Image: BeefTostaditos2.jpg]

---

WELL, duh, a perfect example of why it's a good idea to carefully read a recipe before making....

this is how the tostaditos were to be presented - not the mess (but a delicious mess it was ) I made of it...
[Image: tostaditos.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Beef & Fontina Tostaditos by cjs (I'm repeating postin...)
LOL! Jean, your "delicious mess" reminds me of the chicken nachos at the Orlando Ale House. It's listed as an appetiser, but is big enough to be lunch for four or five people. They really layer the chips, chicken, salsa and cheese very well, too, so that it's impossible to get an uncoated chip. Aside from "delicious," the best word to describe it is "massive," and one could always tell people who were visiting the Ale House for the first time. They would be the ones who would order the chicken nachos, as an appetiser, [i]while still ordering full meals, as well. When the chicken nachos would come out, you could hear the newcomers saying how great the nachos were, and how they probably wouldn't even be able to take one bite of their meals! ROTFL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Beef & Fontina Tostaditos by labradors (LOL! Jean, your "de...)

I have got to try this one to day !

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Beef & Fontina Tostaditos by mjkcooking ([br]I have got to tr...)
Sounds (and looks) good, Jean. Especially that sauce!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Beef & Fontina Tostaditos by Lorraine (Sounds (and looks) g...)
Oh, the tomatillo sauce just wonderful, Lorraine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef & Fontina Tostaditos by cjs (Oh, the tomatillo sa...)
Do you have tomatillos in your greenhouse?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Beef & Fontina Tostaditos by Lorraine (Do you have tomatill...)
not yet....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef & Fontina Tostaditos by cjs (not yet.......)
Looks great Jean--we don't bother growing tomatillos down here because they are fresh and plentiful--and cheap!! So tart most of the time we have to add a little sugar!! But so good. We will try these tostaditos this weekend!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Beef & Fontina Tostaditos by Old Bay (Looks great Jean--we...)
We finished the sauce up with chips and margaritas last night and completely ruined our appetites for dinner. so, last night's dinner tonight.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef & Fontina Tostaditos by cjs (We finished the sauc...)
How funny - friend 'anon' was looking at this thread and I just finished making a pizza recipe out of it!! And I had really forgotten how good it was until I looked at the pictures. YUM!!
www.achefsjourney.com