Lechon Asado
  Re: (...)
Labs..this recipe was WONDERFUL!!!! I will never do a large pork piece any other way again. I did the slow roast method and cooked it for about 9 hours at 225 uncovered. I basted it about 2 hours or so. Just DELISH!

Thank you again for sharing that
  Re: Lechon Asado by DFen911 (Labs..this recipe wa...)
Thanks for the comments, Denise. I agree: it's one of those "no turning back" recipes.

Now, are you going to make some Cuban sandwiches with the leftovers?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lechon Asado by labradors (Thanks for the comme...)
Quote:

Thanks for the comments, Denise. I agree: it's one of those "no turning back" recipes.

Now, are you going to make some Cuban sandwiches with the leftovers?

Where is that recipe!?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Lechon Asado by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I posted the link, with some comments, here and here.
  Re: Re: Lechon Asado by labradors (I posted the link, w...)
Ok can't find the sandwich recipe and I have about 6 lbs of meat left over just begging for more goodness
  Re: Re: Lechon Asado by DFen911 (Ok can't find the sa...)
Cuban Sandwiches
Makes 4 generous sandwiches

Ingredients:
  • Cuban bread or (Substitute French bread if you must, but NOT a baguette!)
  • Butter, softened
  • 1 pound ham sliced (Use a good quality ham.)
  • 1 pound lechón asado (roasted Cuban pork) sliced
  • 1/2 pound Swiss cheese, sliced (Use a mild Swiss -- we like Baby Swiss -- it has only a few holes.)
  • Sliced dill pickles (dill "Sandwich Stackers" work great)
  • Yellow mustard (optional)
  • Mayonnaise (NEVER!!)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat a pancake griddle or large fry pan. Cut the bread into sections about 8 inches long. Cut these in half and spread butter on both halves (inside). Make each sandwich with the ingredients in this order: pickles, roasted pork, ham, and cheese. Be generous!

NOTE: Most people use a sweet cured ham (jamón dulce) or bolo ham for Cuban sandwiches. If you can find these hams in your area, great. Otherwise, look for a slightly sweet, soft textured ham with a mild taste. You don't want the flavor of the ham to overpower the rest of the ingredients! Also, never use shaved ham or pork in a Cuban sandwich!

2. Place the sandwich on the hot griddle (fry pan) sprayed with a little "Pam" or lightly greased. Place a heavy iron skillet or bacon press on top of the sandwich to flatten. (You really want to smash the sandwich, compressing the bread to about 1/3 its original size!)
  3. Grill the sandwiches for two to three minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden. Make sure your griddle or fry pan is not TOO HOT! Otherwise, the crust will burn before the cheese melts. Slice the sandwich in half diagonally and serve.
(Source: Three Guys from Miami)
  Re: Re: Lechon Asado by labradors ([b]Cuban Sandwiches[...)
Wow those sound delicious!
  Re: Re: Lechon Asado by DFen911 (Wow those sound deli...)
Of course, if you already have a sandwich press or panini maker, you won't need to use the pans the way they suggest in the recipe. Note, also, that a Cuban sandwich does NOT have lettuce, tomato, onion, or (as even their recipe strongly indicates) mayonnaise.

[Image: smile073.jpg]
  Re: Re: Lechon Asado by labradors (Of course, if you al...)
I'm going to the store tonight to get the cheese and ham and already have my panini press out. The hard part will be finding the right bread. But I will prevail
  Re: Re: Lechon Asado by DFen911 (I'm going to the sto...)
I have a foolproof recipe for Cuban bread. It seems to work even if you are not a regular bread baker. Please let me know if you'd like me to post it. It makes 2 loaves. What you don't use for sandwiches you can freeze or slice thin, butter and grill to have it with any meal, Cuban style.