Substitute for Riesling?
  Re: (...)
I have a recipe for a peach dessert that calls for 1/2 cup of Riesling. Does anyone know a close sub?

Peach Compote with Riesling Reduction

Servings: 4

Riesling wine perfectly complements the sweet juiciness of summer peaches. A sprinkling of crystallized ginger adds spicy heat.

Ingredients

1 1/2 tbsp water, warm
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup(s) white wine, a medium-bodied Riesling like Yellowtail suggested
4 large peach(es), ripe, thickly sliced
4 tsp crystallized ginger, minced

Instructions
In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar and lemon juice; cook over medium-high heat until syrupy, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until wine reduces by half and mixture is syrupy, about 4 to 6 minutes; remove from heat and let cool.

Once cooled, toss syrup with peaches in a serving bowl and allow to sit at room temperature for several minutes; toss again. Serve, sprinkled with ginger. Yields about 1 cup of peaches and 1 teaspoon of ginger per serving.

Re: Substitute for Riesling? by Mare749 (I have a recipe for ...)
What's the dessert Maryann? Riesling is a rather sweet white, thus the reason I don't care for it. (But it did make a da-- good sub for beer for beer can chicken.) I was going to say brandy or another sweet-ish white or maybe even sweet vermouth or maybe even port...but I would wait for the more experienced wine folks. (I guess I'll see how good-or not- I'm getting at this wine thing...LOL!)

Cook's Thesaurus says: "Riesling Pronunciation: REEZ-ling Notes: If made in Germany or Alsace, a Riesling is a very good, somewhat sweet white wine. If made in America, it's usually a so-so white wine that's usually made from Sylvaner = Franken Riesling, Gray Riesling and Emerald Riesling grapes, mediocre varieties which coast on the reputation of their superior relative, Johanissberg Riesling. Substitutes: Johanissberg Riesling OR Gewürztraminer OR Pinot Blanc OR Chenin blanc OR Pinot blanc OR 1C Riesling = 1/2 C white wine + 1/2 C water + 1/3 C sugar"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Substitute for Riesling? by Gourmet_Mom (What's the dessert M...)
Am I loosing it, or what? Was that recipe there before I posted....LOL?!?!?

I'd go for the brandy if it was me!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Substitute for Riesling? by Gourmet_Mom (Am I loosing it, or ...)
how about a Moscato? Or do you want to get away from wine completely?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Substitute for Riesling? by cjs (how about a Moscato?...)
Yes, are you trying to use a wine substitute or get rid of the alcohol entirely? I'll try to help when I know that. Reducing the riesling mixture to half does get rid of 98% of the alcohol.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Substitute for Riesling? by Old Bay (Yes, are you trying ...)
Sorry for being confusing here. No, I don't want to eliminate the wine, but we never buy Riesling preferring wines that aren't quite so sweet. (they always give me a headache) So, I was looking for suggestions, since I'm not "wine savvy"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Substitute for Riesling? by Mare749 (Sorry for being conf...)
Quote:

Sorry for being confusing here. No, I don't want to eliminate the wine, but we never buy Riesling preferring wines that aren't quite so sweet. (they always give me a headache) So, I was looking for suggestions, since I'm not "wine savvy"

Pacific Rim makes a great inexpensive "dry" riesling--Chateau St. Michelle also makes a dry version (if you can find it). Otherwise I would suggest a Sancerre from France--cook with it and drink the rest with dinner!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Substitute for Riesling? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
yes to what Bill said - and be sure there's some left for dinner...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Substitute for Riesling? by cjs (yes to what Bill sai...)
Thanks Bill, that's what I was counting on.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."