Butternut Squash?
  Re: (...)
William LOVES this stuff so much, he got carried away when he planted some....forgetting how prolific squash plants can be. WELL! I've probably got close to a hundred or more of the things in various stages of growth and some are ready to come off.

My question is this...How do I preserve these suckers?!?!?!?! I had originally planned to peel, cube, and roast them, with and without onions....but NO WAY! I can do some this way, roast some whole and/or halved, but REALLY! I only HAVE one freezer and there's other stuff to process and store! I know we could give some away, but I'm not sure how many people I know who would want them. (I know, they don't know what they're missing.)

Does anybody know how long these jokers will last after picking? Is it possible they're like rutabagas and potatoes and will last for a few months in a cool dark place? Boy, I hope so! It sure would be nice to know we could enjoy them "fresh" for several months.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Butternut Squash? by Gourmet_Mom (William LOVES this s...)
Quote:

Storage is as for all vegetables of this type - a clean, cool, dry place and they should store for 4-5 months. They are susceptible to mildew, so store on slats an do not let them touch each other.

(Source: National Vegetable Society - U.K.)

Don't forget to make some Butternut Squash and Leek Soup.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Daphne, I've not tried this, but I've seen pkgs. of frozen squash in the stores. I planted some squash seeds - not real sure what they will be, but if we like them, I'm going to try doing a few in the freezer to see how it works.

Fresh, a couple months? I don't think I've been able to keep mine as long as 4-5 months - even carefully.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by cjs (Daphne, I've not tri...)
Quote:

Fresh, a couple months? I don't think I've been able to keep mine as long as 4-5 months - even carefully.

I've never tried - that's just what that site said. Other sites also said that there must be NO nicks in the skin of the squash for them to store well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by cjs (Daphne, I've not tri...)
Thanks for the info Labs!

Jean, you've tried saving butternuts? I wish I had tested this theory with a purchased squash. I think I've saved one a month or two at least. That being said, we could have fresh squash on into late October/early November. I think it's worth a shot. If it looks like I'm going to loose them, I can always freeze them later.
Daphne
  Re: Butternut Squash? by Gourmet_Mom (William LOVES this s...)
Daphney this is from my book - Preserving Summer's Bounty, A Rodale Garden Book.

Storing in a Root Cellar
Pumpkins and Winter Squash
Stored 50 to 60 degrees in a dry place. Pumpkins and winter squash will keep throughout the winter. Be sure that the pumpkins and squash have matured completely on the vine before you harvest them. The skin should be hard and not easily punctured with your nail. Cut the fruit off with a portion of the stem attached. Then leave them in the field for two weeks afater picking if the days are not cold. If weather is near freezing, cure squash instead in a room with temperature of about 80 degrees for several days. After curing place them gently on shelves, seperated from each other, in a 50 to 60 degree dry place. Examin them every few weeks for mold. If you find some, wipe the squash carefully with a cloth made slighly oily with vegetable oil.

Freezing - says to cook before freezing. It says to also freeze puree and can cubes. If you want to can them,

HOT PACK Wash pumpkin or winter squash. Remove seeds, and peel. Cut into 1 inch cubes. Boil for 2 minutes. Pack into jars and cover with hot liquid or boiling water, leaving 1 inch headspace. Process at 10 lbs pressure - pintes 55 minutes, quartes 90 minutes.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by esgunn (Daphney this is from...)
"Be sure that the pumpkins and squash have matured completely on the vine before you harvest them. The skin should be hard and not easily punctured with your nail. " Oh Erin! This is so helpful. We've been anxious about when to pick, since we've never grown the things.

"Then leave them in the field for two weeks after picking if the days are not cold." I would have NEVER thought about doing this! But it makes sense! My only worry will be the heat, not the cold, of course. But since there are SO MANY, and a lot are still VERY young, we should be able to wait at least another month before trying this. Next time, we'll know to put them in much later so they'll come off later in the fall when it is much cooler. The greenhouse has been cleaned out and the front is pretty cool, concrete floor and shelves...PERFECT! I may need a few more shelves, but that shouldn't be a problem.

" If you find some [mildew], wipe the squash carefully with a cloth made slightly oily with vegetable oil. " It's funny, William had commented on the fact that rutabagas have a wax film on them in the grocery stores. So this is interesting as well!

THANKS ERIN!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by Gourmet_Mom ("Be sure that the pu...)
Daphney, One more thing. Don't know if you like sweet with your squash - but the book had this creative cooking tip that I thought was interesting:

Bake apples or pears along with winter squash. Then puree the fruit and use it as a flavorful filling for the squash.

(wish I liked winter squash)
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by esgunn (Daphney, One more t...)
I haven't tried that, used to didn't like sweet with savory, but my taste buds seem to be changing little. And William LOVES baked apples and pears. Thanks!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash? by Gourmet_Mom (I haven't tried that...)
I would LOVE to take some of those off your hands, Daphne! See you in September....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."