What's for dinner Thursday?
  Re: (...)
Thought I would post this since Jean is on the road today and might not be able to check in for a bit.

Dinner tonight: We have some chicken and baking potatoes ready to go into the smoker for only an hour or two. Ron likes the skin to be crispy both on the chicken and on the potatoes, so both will go on the grill to finish.

I'm looking through my recipes right now for a fruity salsa to go on the finished chicken, and have a big mixed green and vegetable salad already made.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What's for dinner Thursday? by Mare749 (Thought I would post...)
Quote:

I'm looking through my recipes right now for a fruity salsa to go on the finished chicken...

If the chicken is spicy, I like to use a simple salsa of diced fresh papaya, chopped red onion, cilantro and lime juice.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thursday? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
As Labs pointed out or with mango instead of papaya.

Dinner tonight is up in the air....I think it's going to be a clean out the freezer night!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thursday? by Gourmet_Mom (As Labs pointed out ...)
We ate light tonight. I made some pasta with tomatoes, onions, avacado and tuna. Chilled it down and put it on a bed of greens.

Mare did you put your potatoes in the smoker too?
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thursday? by DFen911 (We ate light tonight...)
Pinto beans w/pork, overcooked green beans and cornbread made with blue cornmeal, cottage cheese, grapes, dried fruit
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thursday? by bjcotton (Pinto beans w/pork, ...)
We ruined our dinners Wednesday by having an ice cream cone on the way home from 'da big city,' so we finished up the crockpot corn/black bean with tortillas after we got settled in Yakima yesterday afternoon. Sure made for an easy and fast dinner.

I've come to the conclusion I am getting acclimated to the no heat up here in our part of Washington - the low 100s never used to bother me (unless I had to do hard work in it), but I'm not taking this 90+ heat over here very well at all. darn. We were going to stay until next Tuesday or Wednesday, but we'll probably pick up all the fruit I want by Sunday and head on home. Whew, what a wuss (how do you spell that??) I've become!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thursday? by DFen911 (We ate light tonight...)
Quote:

We ate light tonight. I made some pasta with tomatoes, onions, avacado and tuna. Chilled it down and put it on a bed of greens.

Mare did you put your potatoes in the smoker too?

Yes, we put chicken pieces and baking potatoes in the smoker together for about 2 1/2 hours. Then, since Ron likes crispy skin, he transferred the chicken to the grill to finish it and baste with sauce. He transferred the potatoes too and just kept turning them to make sure they were cooked through.

Since he knew I wouldn't eat the skin, he then peeled the skin off of a few pieces for me, and basted mine with teriyaki sauce. It was amazing and he even liked it better than what he had sauced for himself.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for dinner Thursday? by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Now that's just cool...I have got to get me a smoker!