New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk
  Re: (...)
While making a batch of homemade stovetop Mac-n-cheese I discovered I didn't have any milk or cream. I use a recipe I got from Food and Wine about 10 years ago. I had some buttermilk on hand and decided to use that instead. It was really wonderful! My husband loved it and just gobbled it up. I just wanted to pass this on.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk by iCook (While making a batch...)
Thanks Karen, that's not something I would have thought to try and it's a great idea. I don't always have milk on hand, but I do keep powdered milk and powdered buttermilk in my pantry. Will try it next time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk by Mare749 (Thanks Karen, that's...)
Like Maryann, I keep powered on hand all the time...just for such cases. That, and rarely do I need more than a little buttermilk (except for my chicken brine)and buying a quart for a small amount is just wasteful! In the case of the powdered milk, I always have that for Jean's Pizza Dough, which I use a lot and has come in handy during more than one emergency! Another thing I keep in stock is evaporated milk...another life saver in the kitchen!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk by Gourmet_Mom (Like Maryann, I keep...)
I love to use buttermilk in mashed potatoes - can't stand to drink the stuff but love to use it in cooking!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk by Harborwitch (I love to use butter...)
I likes to drink the stuff. Finally went and bought the powdered stuff since it lasts so much longer.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk by bjcotton (I likes to drink the...)
What a great idea!! I love to use buttermilk in different dishes, but haven't tried this yet.

Now, you're making me think of Uncle Wallace's pancakes!!! )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com