Dim Sum Question
  Re: (...)
One of the things I wanted to try this summer was making the Dim Sum from the April '09 Issue. I've decided one of the things that has put me off is making the dough, in addition to making the dumplings/wontons. Have I said it enough...my kitchen is HOT!

SO, I got to thinking. Since I'm going to the city this week and will be making a trip to the Asian store, why not get the "wrappers" for these from there. Is this possible? What do I ask for?

At some point I will probably MAKE the "wrappers", but I've got so much to try this summer. I don't want to run out of time. Why not take one little short cut in an already complex recipe....at least for me. If it's as easy as the egg rolls, I'll come back and make it all from scratch later.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Dim Sum Question by Gourmet_Mom (One of the things I ...)
That's what I did and was pleased with the results. You can buy both round & squares ones, depending on the shape you wish to make.

Out here (Oregon) they're in almost every grocery store, usually in the produce section by the mushrooms, bean sprouts, and other Asian vegetables.

Best of luck!
  Re: Re: Dim Sum Question by StormWarning (That's what I did an...)
So I can do regular wonton wrappers for both? Cool!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Dim Sum Question by Gourmet_Mom (So I can do regular ...)
Yep! And you can either fry or steam.
  Re: Re: Dim Sum Question by StormWarning (Yep! And you can ei...)
Here's some info for you on the wrappers, Daphne -

Azumaya is the brand I find up here

some of the names they go by:
Egg Roll Fresh Pasta Wraps
Won Ton Fresh Pasta Wraps
Round Wrap Fresh Pasta

here's a website from one of the pkgs. Lots about tofu, but about wrappers also. and some recipes.
www.vitasoy-usa.com
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dim Sum Question by cjs (Here's some info for...)
I get "Kimbo" brand here at the Asian store. I buy the round ones for dumplings, and they are labeled "dumpling skins". Have fun!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Dim Sum Question by Lorraine (I get "Kimbo" brand ...)
Okay, thanks! I've added all this to my list. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get them!
Daphne