Decadence Alert!!!
  Re: (...)
THIS IS SOOOOO BAD!!!

Cream Cheese Ice Cream - One of the easiest ice cream recipes I've ever made and so delicious. From Gourmet, 4/03. I'm also posting the notes/ideas from reviewers because they all had some good things to say.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cream Cheese Ice Cream

8 oz cream cheese -- softened
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I used 2 T.)
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tsp. Vanilla (I added this 'cause so many reviewers mentioned it)
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used 1/2 & 1/2 - forgot to mention that)
Special equipment: an ice cream maker

Blend cream cheese, milk, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, then stir in cream.

Freeze cream cheese mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 2 hours. Let ice cream soften 5 minutes before serving.

Reviews:

This recipe is excellent! We have made it twice. We used 1.5 cups of whole milk because I didn't want to bother with the cream. I like adding 1/2 to 1 tsp of vanilla extract. It's wonderful with a chocolate-peanut butter sauce or a strawberry sauce (both homemade). Best homemade ice cream yet!

I think I will add vanilla next time. This time,though, I topped it with cherry pie filling and served it with graham crackers for a deconstructed cheesecake of sorts. My friends asked for seconds and all but licked the bowls.

I turned this into an Apple Cheesecake by sauteeing apples with butter,cinnamon and brown sugar and added to the ice cream mixture during the last 5 minutes of the churn. It was a huge hit. I'm making it again this weekend!

This recipe turned out great with a little alteration. I took the suggestion from another reviewer and reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup, upped the amount of lemon juice and added frozen raspberries into the blender. The finished product was a creamy, refreshing ice cream with the tartness of cream cheese and lemon, and none of the "frozen frosting" aspects mentioned in other reviews. Served it in puff pastry shell with fresh berries and whipped cream. Delicious!

Rich and creamy - yum!! For fun, I added a few crushed chocolate wafers shortly before I removed the mixture from the ice cream maker. Can't wait to try it again with a fresh raspberry sauce poured over!

I also used half and half in place of the heavy cream because I still had a pint in the fridge, and I used vanilla sugar that I had stored up from the last vanilla bean I used. And I used pretty much the whole lemon's worth of juice. I also realized, after reviewing the recipe, that I had forgotten to add the salt- whoops! You'd never know, though. Great recipe!

Very easy and great to use with all sorts of fruits. I would increase the lemon juice to balance the sweetness a bit more.

Our first attempt at making ice cream and a great success! I used skim milk and reduced fat cream cheese because that's what I had in the fridge. It came out delicious and creamy and I can't imagine that full fat would be any better. This will be a spring and summer staple in our house. LOVE it!

If you like cheesecake you'll like this ice cream. I used reduced fat Philly cream cheese. My son had requested peach ice cream so I added 2 cups of diced fresh peaches that I added 1/8 cup sugar to and cooked until juices thickened then cooled before adding to the ice cream mixture. I let the mixture sit overnight in refrigerator before putting into my Cuisinart ice cream maker. The mixture tasted great and the ice cream is in the freezer waiting for my son when he visits

I agree with the other reviews - this is very cheescakey. It is very rich. I did not scald the milk and the ice cream is very smooth. The beauty of this recipe is that you don't have to plan ahead and cool the custard before freezing in the ice cream maker! Delicious and easy.

Description: "Makes about 1 qt"

----

So, there you go, all of you in the 100° weather! I even have some Cooking Light Chocolate Sauce in the freezer for dinner tonigt. I did tell Roy we're eating early so we have room for dessert!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Decadence Alert!!! by cjs ( [i]THIS IS SOOOOO B...)
"I think I will add vanilla next time. This time,though, I topped it with cherry pie filling and served it with graham crackers for a deconstructed cheesecake of sorts. My friends asked for seconds and all but licked the bowls."

You're killing me here, Jean! And here I have been craving ice cream and cheesecake lately! Cream cheese added to the grocery list!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Decadence Alert!!! by Gourmet_Mom ("I think I will add ...)
Shouldn't have looked! Oh, well, I don't have an ice cream maker anyway, so not much of a threat!
  Re: Re: Decadence Alert!!! by HomeCulinarian (Shouldn't have looke...)
OK - The cream cheese is softening on the counter and the Pineapple Crisp is in the oven.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Decadence Alert!!! by esgunn (OK - The cream chees...)
Oh Erin - you're terrible!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Decadence Alert!!! by cjs (Oh Erin - you're ter...)
Oh Erin...LOL! I guess I should be glad I can't get fresh pineapple at the local grocery store; otherwise, William wouldn't be happy unless I had a pineapple crisp in the fridge at all times!

Although, it's blueberry season, so I think I'll have to try that berry slump in the most recent magazine.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Decadence Alert!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Oh Erin...LOL! I gu...)
Wow!

Just ... Wow!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Decadence Alert!!! by labradors (Wow![br][br][br]...[...)
Quote:

Wow!

Just ... Wow!

That's exactly what I thought. I copied it, since one day down the road I might want to be making that one, especially when the local peaches come in. That variation sounded really good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Decadence Alert!!! by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)

yes, Jean you are kiling me here.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Decadence Alert!!! by mjkcooking ([br]yes, Jean you ar...)
OMG! Jean, you went too far this time!!!!!!!

I subbed equal parts carnation/water for the milk (some kid drank my milk!) and had to use 1/4 cup of that combo to fill in for the cream. I used half and half for the rest of the cream (that's what I had in the fridge) and 1/3 less fat cream cheese. I can not imagine what it would be like as written! RICH is not the word! It tastes just like a frozen, creamy cheesecake!!!!!!

My freezer makes 2 quarts, so I doubled it. With 4 of us here, there is ONLY a little over a pint left! I'm not holding my breath that it will be there tomorrow, either! I warned the boys, but I don't think they have the willpower to resist saving William and myself a serving for tomorrow night's dinner!

I will say, I think this would be best with a tart fruit thingy with it...or maybe a dark chocolate sauce....It's that rich! I'll deal with the fruit thingy I served on another thread.
Daphne