Fiddleheads
  Re: (...)
Does anyone here grow fiddleheads in their garden? Can you grow them in a garden? Or do you have to pick them in the wild?
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Fiddleheads by iCook (Does anyone here gro...)
Karen, I had to look it up, so that was my first clue the answer to your question is, "no"! This is as far as I got. Fiddleheads

So, what would you do with them if you had some?
  Re: Re: Fiddleheads by HomeCulinarian (Karen, I had to look...)
They grow in my garden and other areas around the yard, but I just yank them out.
I would think it might need to be in a climate that grows ferns naturally.

A few years ago my Sister in Law's - Korean Mother in Law came and picked all my fiddleheads. I have also seen other Asian older ladies by the side of the road picking them.

They are usually in spring and I have seen them early season in the farmers market around here.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Fiddleheads by esgunn (They grow in my gard...)
I played with them one time (a long time ago) when we last lived up here and they were pretty abundant in the area. Can't remember what I did with them, but must not have been too impressed, can't remember ever doing anything again. (or....we moved )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I guess I would eat them. I found a recipe for Fiddlehead and Mushroom soup that I would like to try. I've heard they taste a bit like artichokes.

I thought I would ask about them around this forum since you all do just about anything on here. I figured someone would be an expert.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Fiddleheads by iCook (I guess I would eat ...)
someone will be along who knows, that's for sure, Karen.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

Or do you have to pick them in the wild

We picked them wild in Quebec. They grew near streams and wet areas. There are different kinds of ferns that you don't want to pick, bracken ferns can be fuzzy and nasty. We picked the heads when they were still tight and unopened. They have to be well cleaned, as they can be gritty. I steam them, then saute them in olive oil/butter, S&P. Or, fry some bacon and onions until crisp, and toss the steamed fiddleheads in the pan until coated. They are also good served cold in an oil and vinegar dressing. They are only available for a short time in the spring, and used to fetch about $5.00 to $6.00 / lb in Toronto. Years ago, someone on another forum mentioned cooking them in an orange juice reduction with fresh thyme, and serving it with salmon. It was a great dish. I really like them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Fiddleheads by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Good information. Thank you for your input.

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Fiddleheads by iCook (Good information. T...)
We steam them and season with salt, pepper & butter. Makes a beautiful presentation. To me they taste and feel like asparagus. We haven't done any in a few years--they are very expensive in Texas, hard to find, and the season is very short.

P.S. Karen, is that a real martini, or did you make it with Vodka?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Fiddleheads by Old Bay (We steam them and se...)
They are abundant here in Oregon on the sides of the mountains. I've never seen them cultivated, but lots of them in the wild. Never eaten them though.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy