Fourth of July Plans??
  Re: (...)
We have friends coming for the weekend and I had a menu all set and then a neighbor called and invited us to a BBQ at their place, so my 4th menu is out the window. Roy and Bill will regale the neighborhood kids (and themselves) with fireworks when it finally gets dark up here!

I think I will take a platter of Bill's Salsa Deviled Eggs over to their party, tho. They do sound good and I didn't get them made last go 'round.

What are your plans??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fourth of July Plans?? by cjs (We have friends comi...)
Well, most of our neighbors plan on staying around this weekend so I am planning on making the Mojo Marinated Pork Tacos with the Grilled Salsa Rojo to have on hand. We can see the local fireworks from our deck with an unobstructed view. Since these tacos are Cuban inspired my neighbor is making her famous Fresca Mojitos. They are so easy and so good (lowcal too!):

Fresca Mojitos

1 Tall glass
6-8 Mint leaves
Ice
1 jigger of rum
1/2 can Fresca
twist of lime

Muddle mint leaves in bottom of glass. Add ice, rum, Fresca and lime juice.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Fourth of July Plans?? by iCook (Well, most of our ne...)
I'm smoking my brisket today for an early Fourth celebration. We will have sammies tomorrow for lunch and then go over to the neighbors for dinner. They're having burgers and dogs...I decided to make Jean's Double-the-Yum Cake. It goes a long way and is very tasty. They've got enough fireworks to light the world as does half the folks on the lake. We'll sit on our pier to view the fireworks. While Dale's will be right overhead, we can see most of the other fireworks around the lake as well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fourth of July Plans?? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm smoking my brisk...)
You gave me a good idea. I will try this Double the Yum cake too. I better get myself to the store today.

Thanks
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Fourth of July Plans?? by iCook (You gave me a good i...)
I'm not making it this year, but I 'need' to again soon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fourth of July Plans?? by cjs (I'm not making it th...)
We're loading up in the am and heading up to the Delta. Bob and I will jump in the runabout and head out to meet our friends on their big boat. Jennifer and Dan are supposed to join us. The Hilton's have a beautiful home on the river and every year they throw a magnificent fireworks display from a barge in the river. It's a wild and crazy event with thousands of boats anchored.

I'm making a Nicoise salad with fresh garden green beans, cooking some bacon (so we just have to reheat it Sunday am), and taking some sausages (homemade), and some bread. We'll munch, drink, munch, drink, munch. Fun!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fourth of July Plans?? by cjs (I'm not making it th...)
Karen, you're going to love this cake! It's awesome!!!!! Can you tell my favorite candy is Reese's cups?

BTW, I'm going to TRY to get to the pineapple crisp to go with dinner tonight. I'll be able to take those leftovers to the party as well...if there's any left...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fourth of July Plans?? by iCook (Well, most of our ne...)
I am making the Mojo Tacos and grilled salsa roja tonight! Can't wait. They look so yummy! Will have to have a mojito or a fresasita to go with it - Or Maybe your Fresca Mojito! Thanks for the recipe.

Tomorrow we are having my parents, the in-laws and my sister and neighbor over for dinner. AND we are hoping our other neighbor is going all out on Fireworks like they usually do. Oh, reminds me...I need to buy that bottle of wine as a thank you to send over on Sunday!

I am making C@H ribs, C@H mustard sauce and C@H roasted/grilled chicken legs with rootbeer BBQ sauce.

The weather is fantastic here - practically unheard of for 4th of July. So lots of fun playing in the sun and the lake. Better make sure my camera batter is charged.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Fourth of July Plans?? by esgunn (I am making the Mojo...)
Bite your tongue, Erin - tomorrow isn't here yet!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fourth of July Plans?? by cjs (Bite your tongue, Er...)
Wow, everyone else has plans!

We spent today helping a friend pack up his house to move in 2 weeks (we're buying a good deal of things from him). I took lunch and we went out to dinner after the packing was over. More to do next Saturday!

Anyway, in order to fit the furniture we are buying from him into our over-stuffed rooms, we are rearranging and clearing out some worn pieces. I can't believe that bookcases and cabinets we carried upstairs, just the two of us, a mere fifteen years ago are too heavy now. They must have absorbed... something... THAT is what we will be doing this weekend, moving and cleaning and rearranging. Maybe some turkey burgers on the grill tomorrow evening, if I'm not too tired.

Have a great weekend, and lots of fun, everybody!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com