Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce
  Re: (...)
We made this tonight. My daughter started the dinner by getting the tomatillos and garlic roasting while I ran to the store for some things for the weekend. I finished it off, and backed off the red pepper flakes a bit. Also used a penne instead of linguine because that's what I had already. Served it with a spinach salad with a home made poppy seed dressing and pine nuts.

We all agreed that the tomatillo sauce was good, but not special. It would probably be a good side with grilled chicken or salmon. And, I should have used the full amount of red pepper flakes. My daughter said it would be a good recipe if you had a lot of tomatillos you wanted to use up. But she wouldn't go out and buy the ingredients specially to make it again.
  Re: Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce by HomeCulinarian (We made this tonight...)
Tomatillos are really tart--if too tart I sometime add a little sugar--it can really improve the flavor.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce by Old Bay (Tomatillos are reall...)
It wasn't too tart. There is sugar in the recipe.
  Re: Re: Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce by HomeCulinarian (It wasn't too tart. ...)
I'm sorry, I didn't look at the recipe. My mistake.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce by Old Bay (I'm sorry, I didn't ...)
No big deal. The recipe is fine. We decided it isn't good as a main dish.
  Re: Re: Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce by HomeCulinarian (No big deal. The re...)
I had that page dog-eared. will probably still try it. Thanks for reviewing it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce by cjs (I had that page dog-...)
Tomatillos can be an acquired taste. I like salsas that use them, but some people I know won't go near the things. Their loss.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce by labradors (Tomatillos can be an...)
Boy, have we acquired a taste for those little goodies!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce by cjs (Boy, have we acquire...)
*kicking myself for forgetting to plant tomatillos this year...*

I had never heard of serving tomatillo sauce with pasta. It is to die for on chicken or fish tacos, or over grilled chicken or salmon. Adding sugar is new to me, too, since the tartness of the tomatillo is what sets it apart.

Hmmm, fish tacos on next week's menu, I think!
  Re: Re: Review - Roasted Tomatillo Sauce by foodfiend (*kicking myself for ...)
We just got a mexican market near me and they have tubs full of these beauties. One of our favorite dishes is grilled halibut with tomatillo salsa.