recipe for North Carolina dinner rolls?
  Re: (...)
For 27 years, I have searched for a recipe for this North Carolina standard that my husband fondly remembers. I've probably made over a hundred different recipes for him and none of them have been what he remembers (he's been back to North Carolina on business trips in recent years and these rolls are still served at almost every meal). Anyone who has lived in North Carolina probably knows the rolls that I'm talking about. My husband tells me they were served in school cafeterias, hospitals, and even at local restaurants. They're a very light pan roll, tall, yeasty, buttery, and slightly sweet. Does anyone know what I'm trying to make, and would you share your recipe?

Thanks!
  Re: recipe for North Carolina dinner rolls? by StormWarning (For 27 years, I have...)
I'll check with my wife (a South Carolina girl). I have her drinking unsweetened tea at least part of the time!!! Welcome to the forum!! Get your husband to register and join the group--he could be "Cape Fear"--I love the South.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: recipe for North Carolina dinner rolls? by Old Bay (I'll check with my w...)
Bless your heart, Stormy. I live in NC and don't know what you're talking about. BUT, my aunt worked in a school cafeteria for years, and I will get her recipe for you...It may be a few days, but I'll get it.

BTW...welcome! Also, being one who lives here, I will say the recipe has probably changed due to dietary guidelines. Hopefully, my aunt has the original.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: recipe for North Carolina dinner rolls? by Gourmet_Mom (Bless your heart, St...)
Welcome again, Storm, to the forums! I sure hope someone can help you with these rolls - just what we need, another delicious dinner roll.... But, I'll probably be first in line to make them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: recipe for North Carolina dinner rolls? by cjs (Welcome again, Storm...)
I got off an email to my cousin. Hopefully, I'll hear something in the next few days. But I got to thinking....I've had these rolls all my life and I know what they taste like. And to be honest, I think he'd be happy with one of these:

Dinner Buns With Coconut Milk (Very good with that touch of sweet)

Sharon's Custard Rich Rolls (A really good one that reminded me very much of the ones at school.)

Labrador's Popcorn Bread (My absolute FAVORITE!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: recipe for North Carolina dinner rolls? by StormWarning (For 27 years, I have...)
I'm in South Carolina, and I think I know what you're talking about. They serve very delicious rolls at a local chain restaurant called O'Charley's. They are light, tall, yeasty, and sweet. I've tried to duplicate them (used a supposed copycat recipe) but have been unsuccessful. I may have to try again. If you find a good one, please let me know!
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com