Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips
  Re: (...)
We are buying some furniture from a friend who is moving from a house into a small apartment, and on Friday we are taking a trailer up to his house to gather some of the smaller stuff. Since he is now single, and really appreciates any food that he doesn't have to make or go out to buy, I wanted to make the oven-fried chicken strips and take them, along with other food, as a picnic lunch for us all.

The article mentions using Pyrex baking dishes, preheated in a 450F oven. "The secret to the strips' crisp coating is to roast them in glass pans. Metal just doesn't create that same type of crust."

Okay, I have no glass baking dishes. I have perforated metal baking sheets which I use for baking rolls. Would that work? Or should I seek out another, similar recipe that specifically uses metal pans?

Thanks!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips by foodfiend (We are buying some f...)
Hmmm, that is interesting. I must say I have never heard that nor have I found that to be true. (I do get a crisp crust on oven fried chicken/fish in a metal baking sheet) I usually use a wire rack placed in the sheet pan to keep the underside crisp tho. I can't remember using glassware (pyrex) for oven fried anything.

Will be interesting to hear if others have tried both and their results.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips by cjs (Hmmm, that is intere...)
Vicci, I have used a pyrex dish and find that the bottom gets mashed and hard, not light and crispy like the top. I had given up on the whole idea, but now I'll be trying Jean's idea of a rack.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, I have used a...)
Just cheat and add a little rice flour to the coating mix.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips by labradors (Just cheat and add a...)
Oh yay! I was hoping that I didn't have to go searching for another recipe... I think that I will use the perforated baking sheet plus a rack just to be safe.

It's an odd recipe, but the results look so good. You dip the chicken strips in flour, then in a whipped egg white/ buttermilk mixture, then in panko/flour/seasonings, then bake. If anyone wants I can type it into Mastercook and post.

Labs, how much rice flour would you use with 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 2/3 cup panko? Or would I sub some of the rice flour for all-purpose?

And another question: I plan to make these the night before, refrigerate, and then take to our friends house to eat cold. Should I do something (other than letting them cool completely on a cooling rack after baking) to prevent them from getting soggy?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips by foodfiend (Oh yay! I was hopin...)
Quote:

Should I do something (other than letting them cool completely on a cooling rack after baking) to prevent them from getting soggy?

Put a slice of bread in the container with the cooked chicken, it absorbs the moisture so the chicken stays crisper.
  Re: Re: Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
and heat the strips (if you are heating them) on a rack over the baking sheet and they will crisp up again.

odd recipe? Do you not usually do the 'three dip' for breading? This method really helps coating/breading stick to the product.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips by foodfiend (Oh yay! I was hopin...)
Quote:

Labs, how much rice flour would you use with 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 2/3 cup panko? Or would I sub some of the rice flour for all-purpose?

Vicci,

I've never really measured it with something like a breading mixture, but when I just did some searching about it, I found that some people suggest rice flour as 15-20% of the flour part of the mixture. Not sure that I've even used THAT much, but it doesn't take much. Don't make it ALL or mostly rice flour - just a small percentage. Some also suggest adding a little baking soda, but I haven't tried that.

Rice flour is also the secret of the extra crispy, non-soggy French fries one may buy frozen.

Of course, the fact that you're using panko will help, too.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Jean, yes I usually do a "three-dip" but I've never beaten the egg whites into soft peaks first (just beaten them a little... if that makes any sense...)

Labs, thanks for the info on the ratio of all-purpose to rice flours. I may start at 10% rice flour this time. And a pinch of baking soda.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Issue #64, oven fried chicken strips by foodfiend (Jean, yes I usually ...)
"never beaten the egg whites into soft peaks first " - oh, gotcha, Vicci.
www.achefsjourney.com