Some New Party Recipes
  Re: (...)
These are the ones I really liked and some of you are going to give me a bad time re a cake mix.....

Misc. Notes:
1. One thing I learned about brisket this time around the thick side of a brisket has two layers of meat separated by a layer of fat. The grains of these two layers go in different directions, so I sliced the top layer, removed some of the inner layer of fat and turned the meat to carved the next layer. Interesting, I had never known this before.

2. There can be a membrane on a beef brisket (similar to pork ribs) that should be removed or at least pricked to get throught it.

3. Smoke the brisket fat side up.

-------
4 Day Smoked Brisket
(bringing all the methods/rubs/ideas together in one recipe)

1st day -
Trim up the brisket ONLY if there is more than 1 - 1 1/2" thick layer of fat, you want the fat for the flavor and moistness so leave most of it.

combine rub ingredients -
This is for one whole brisket, ~17-20 lbs.

Kansas City Rib Rub - Derrick, Grilling, About.Com
This rub is not recommended for hot and fast cooking because the sugar will burn. So avoid high temperatures when using it.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all ingredients together and transfer to an air tight container.

Cut the brisket in half (for better fitting in the smoker); if you have one of those needle pricker things, prick the brisket on both sides. Then rub liberally with the dry rub. Wrap each piece of brisket in foil tightly and refrigerate for 2 days.

3rd day -
Remove the briskets from the foil and smoke at 200-225° for 9 to 12 hours. 18 lbs. cut in half, so about 8-9 lbs each chunk - I smoked for 10 hours to a temperature of 160-165°F. I spritzed the briskets with 1/2 & 1/2 apple juice and water everytime I changed the smoker chip pan.

Remove from smoker and lay in an oven-proof shallow pan and pour approx. 1 cup of Carolina BBQ Sauce over (or sauce of your choice). Refrigerate overnight.

4th day -
I put the briskets in a 225° oven at 9 a.m. and left them alone until 3:30p.m.; check temperatures and they were at 180-185°. turned the oven to warm and left them until ready to carve.

The thinest half, I shredded for sandwiches and the larger half I sliced.

For service: had large dinner rolls for those who wanted to make sandwiches (ran out of buns, folks came back for 3 and 4 of the sandwiches!!) and had three bbq sauce to offer with the brisket - K.C., Texas, and Carolina.

Kansas City BBQ Sauce –
Here’s the whole recipe - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...IBS-242246

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium-size onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 tablespoons cider vinegar, or more to taste
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons pineapple juice (optional)
1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, or 2 tablespoons meat drippings
2 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, or more to taste
2 tablespoons prepared mustard of your choice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt
1. Heat the oil in a large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook until softened but not brown, about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, pineapple juice (if using), hot sauce, liquid smoke, molasses, brown sugar, prepared and dry mustards, black pepper, and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent scorching. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little more water.
3. Remove the barbecue sauce from the heat and taste for seasoning, adding salt to taste and more cider vinegar, hot sauce, and/or brown sugar as necessary; the sauce should be highly seasoned.
4. Transfer the barbecue sauce to a serving bowl and serve warm or at room temperature. The sauce will keep, tightly covered in the refrigerator, for several weeks.
------

Carolina BBQ Sauce –
Here’s the whole recipe - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...HES-101803

1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Stir all ingredients in small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

-----

Texas BBQ Sauce –
Here’s the whole recipe - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...KET-101806

1 cup purchased barbecue sauce (such as Bull's-Eye)
1 tablespoon chili powder

------

More than you ever wanted to know about smoking a brisket????

Smoked Oyster Dip

3 oz. cream cheese
2 T. mayonnaise
2 T. milk
1 T. finely chopped onion
2 tsp. chopped pimiento (I used sun-dried tomatoes)
3 2/3 oz. can smoked oysters, drained and chopped

combine all ingrediemts and mix well. Chill. Makes about 1 cup.

=========

WHOLE WHEAT FRENCH BREAD

2 3/4 C all-purpose flour -- (2 3/4-3 3/4 cups)
2 tbsps sugar
2 tsps salt
2 pdg. active dry yeast
2 teaspoons dried oregano and basil
1 1/2 T. Salad Supreme (this is a McCormisk's seasoning that is really tasty)
3 T. roasted garlic, mashed
2 c water
2 tbsps shortening
2 c whole wheat flour
1 ea egg white -- slightly beaten
Finely choppped Parmesan Cheese and Kosher salt to top loaves

In lg. bowl combine 2 c. all-pur. flour, sugar, salt & yeast; blend well.
In small saucepan, heat 2 c. water & shortening till 120-130 F.

Add warm liquid to flour mix. Blend at low speed till moistened; beat 3 min. at med. speed.

Add the oregano, basil, Salad supreme and roasted garlic.
Stir in whole wheat flour & an addtl. 1/2 to 1 cup all-pur. flour till dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.

On floured surface, knead in remaining 1/4-3/4 cups all-pur. flour till dough is smooth & elastic, ~5 min. (or knead in your mixer)

Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely w/plastic & cloth towel.
Let rise till double, ~45 min.

Grease 2 lg. sheet pans. Punch down dough several times to remove all bubbles.

Divide dough in half; shape into balls.
Shape balls into 2 18" oblong loaves; round ends. Place on greased pans.

Combine 1 T. water & egg white; brush some over loaves.
Cover; let rise till light & double, ~10-15 min.

Oven to 375 F. Uncover dough; brush w/remaining egg white mixture. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and salt.
W/sharp knife, make four 1/2" deep slashes in top of each loaf.

Bake for 30-40 min. or till loaves are golden brown & sound hollow when lightly tapped.
Immediately cool on racks.

NOTES : Makes 2 (18-slice) loaves

========

Off the wall, but very tasty - makes good toast also.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheese Loaf with Sesame Top

6 cups all-purpose flour (6 to 6 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 packages Fleischmann's® Rapid Rise Yeast
1 cup water
1 11-ounce can Cheddar cheese soup/sauce
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (1/2 pound)
1 egg white with 1 tablespoon water
Sesame seeds

In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast. Heat water and soup/sauce until very warm (125 to 130ºF); stir into dry ingredients. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.

Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

On lightly floured surface, knead in cheese. Divide dough in half. Divide one half into 3 equal pieces; roll each to 14-inch rope. Braid ropes; pinch ends to seal. Place in greased 8 1/2- × 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Repeat to make second loaf. Cover, let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 25 to 40 minutes.

Brush loaves with egg white mixture; sprinkle with sesame seed. Bake at 375ºF for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.

Source: "Fleischmann's Yeast"
Yield: "2 Loaves"

=========

Forgot the dessert recipes aren't in Master Cook yet, so I'll type them up another day and you can laugh at me.

I'm going to go sit and read in the sun now and collapse.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Some New Party Recipes by cjs (These are the ones I...)
Oh my...William is going to flip when I make this bread. I'm hoping to make that Five-Grain Bread with Walnuts tomorrow if I can find the rice flour Maryann sent me...finally got the rest of the stuff. But hopefully that will go fast, 'cuz I'm definitely making that cheesy bread to go with the brisket Wednesday. (The Southport trip is put off until Thursday, so I can visit the food/craft booths.)

Speaking of which...thanks for the details on the brisket. Like you said, now I have all of it in one place. I'll be rubbing down the meat tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

William is going to love the Smoked Oyster Dip, too! He eats them right out of the can...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Jean, you can almost pull the two sections of a brisket apart after cooking--with a knife they seperate quite easily, on the diagonal, sort of.. Serving seperatly, I slice the lean cut across the grain and serve with onions and dill pickles (or cole slaw and potato salad). The fatty cut should be trimmed of excess fat and the pulled apart for sandwiches. The first cut needs no sauce, the other part benefits from a little sauce,sweet onion, and dill pickles on the sandwich.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Some New Party Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my...William is g...)
You beat me to it, Daphne! That recipe sounds really good. Thanks, Jean for all the brisket info.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Some New Party Recipes by pjcooks (You beat me to it, D...)
Daphne, some people want everything.

P.J.- it sure was good

Bill, we were pickin' and saucin' and just having fun with it. YUM. I think you're right, next time I'll use the three sections differently, maybe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Hot diggity dog!! Spareribs this Friday night!! And I do believe I will make the sauce, too!!

Concerning the paprika in the rub - do you use hot, sweet or smokey?

Thanks Jean!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Some New Party Recipes by BarbaraS (Hot diggity dog!! S...)
Copied the KC barbeque sauce recipe since I'm always looking for a new ketchup-y/molasses-y sauce for chicken. Thanks!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Some New Party Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my...William is g...)
"the rice flour Maryann sent me" Isn't it funny Maryann how many of us send each other things? I just sent Lorraine and Gil some cast iron and they are going to send me some stone ground grits.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Some New Party Recipes by bjcotton ("the rice flour Mary...)
Billy, I still have some of that rice flour if you want to try it. The bread that Daphne is referring to was excellent! Time to make it again.

Jean, thanks for all the recipes and information. This will be very helpful. Can't wait to try that BBQ sauce. It's always so much better than bottled.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Some New Party Recipes by Mare749 (Billy, I still have ...)
"Concerning the paprika in the rub - do you use hot, sweet or smokey?" - Barbara, I always have the sweet and the hot on hand, but for this crowd (it really is a geriatric age group-but what fooodies!!), I used sweet.
www.achefsjourney.com