Our Pre-4th Party
  Re: (...)
What a fun time we had yesterday and we had such a great group of folks and good, good food!

The brisket was absolutely perfect, could not have asked for it to turn out any better than it did. And the idea to have the desserts all set out (on my dining room table inside) throughout the party really worked well also. I've notice in previous years by the time I get desserts set up an ready for folks some have already left.Doing it this way, people nibbled all day on them. I'll do this again.

I made three different BBQ sauces for the brisket and everyone had fun choosing their favorite. Texas, Kansas City and Carolina saucees -all are really good.

I used this rub from Derrick/Grilling About.com - it's supposed to be for pork ribs, but was wonderful on the beef briskets. I rubbed them two days ahead of time, then on Friday smoked them for ~10 hours, and finished them off in a 225-250°F oven for ~8 hours (with some of the Carolina sauce). I shredded half for pulled sandwiches and sliced some. We went thru 1 1/2 briskets! Man it's so good.

FROM DERRICK, ABOUTGRILLING.COM
Kansas City Rib Rub

In Kansas City they know ribs and this is the barbecue rub recipe for traditional Kansas City-style ribs. Finish them off with a good barbecue sauce and you'll have a fantastic meal. This recipe is mostly brown sugar, so it makes a deliciously, sweet rub. This rub is not recommended for hot and fast cooking because the sugar will burn. So avoid high temperatures when using it.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all ingredients together and transfer to an air tight container.
-----

Whew, we're exhausted - so for brunch this a.m., we're going to have brisket sandwiches, champagne and nibble on some leftover salads.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Our Pre-4th Party by cjs (What a fun time we h...)
Oh my, that sounds so good! Thanks for the rub recipe, I'm always scrambling to find one at the last minute, and also for the instructions on cooking. I'm going to try that method this time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Our Pre-4th Party by Mare749 (Oh my, that sounds s...)
Sounds wonderful, Jean! Thanks for the rub. I'll give it a try...you said you used Carolina sauce, but I thought you were using the KC sauce...I'm confused?

YIPPPEEEEEE! I had to chase all over town, but finally found a brisket in Wilmington yesterday. I got the butcher at Fresh Market to cut me one about 5 pounds and leave a little of the fat cap on the thing...not much, but at least he left some. I'll be smoking that sucker in the next day or two....can't wait! I saved Bill's instructions, so between your rub and his instructions, I should be set...well except for the sauce step.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Our Pre-4th Party by cjs (What a fun time we h...)
Thanks for the rub recipe Jean! I'll try this on some spare ribs this Friday!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.