Pork Belly Question
  Re: (...)
I just talked to the meat market in town. He has to dress out about 40 hogs next week for the Fourth of July and said he should have plenty of pork belly at the end of the week. He said he usually sells them for about $2.29/lb. Is this a fair price?

And Sharon, Billy, or Jean....between now and then, I'd love it if you'd PM me with more specific directions, or directions to where to go to make bacon.

I thought I'd get an extra and finally make that Hoisin recipe Jean posted a while back. It was good with Boston Butt, but I have a feeling it will be even better with Pork Belly....YUMMMY!!!!! Between this meal, making egg rolls/spring rolls, and the Dim Sum experiment...the next two weeks should be full of Asian fun!!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Pork Belly Question by Gourmet_Mom (I just talked to the...)
Daphne, here's the recipe Sharon, Billy and I use from our books "Charcuterie"

You need to talk to him about a source for pink salt which is a salt with 94% salt & 6% nitrite. Goes by names: Tinted cure mix, T.C.M, DQ Curing Salt, or Insta Cure #1. You should be able to find one of those.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Makin' Bacon - "From Charcuterie"

The cure:
2 oz kosher salt (about 1/4 c.)
2 tsp PINK salt
1/4 cup maple sugar or pac (packed brown sugar)
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
5 pounds slab of pork belly with skin on

Combine the salt, pink salt, and sugar in a bowl and mix so that the ingredients are evenly distributed. Add the syrup and stir to combine.

Rub the cure mixture over the entire surface of the belly. Place skin side down in a non-reacitve container just slightly bigger than the meat. The pork will release water into the salt mixture, creating a brine; it's important that the meat keep in contact with this liquid during the curing process.

Refrigerate, turning the belling and rubbing & redistributing the cure every other day for 7 days - until the meat is firm to the touch.

Remove the belly from the cure, rinse it thoroughly and pat dry. Place it on a rack and set over a baking sheet and dry in the fridge, uncovered for 12 to 24 (mine needed 36) hours.

Hot smoke the belly (225 to 250 degrees) until the internal temperature reaches 150F. Let cool slightly, return to a rack over a baking sheet and place in the fridge for 1 to 2 days. Return to the smoker and hot smoke until the belly reaches an internal temperature of 150F. Let cool until cool enough to handle (or return to the fridge as before and smoke a third time) but still warm, cut the skin off by sliding a sharp knife between the fat and the skin leaving as much fat on the bacon as possible. Let cool, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.

You can add peppercorns (Jean's note: I did add coarsely ground black pepper)and vary your dry and liquid sugars as long as the ratios stay the same.

Source: "From Charcuterie"

---
Give one of us a yell if you don't understand something in the directions. We're here. Have fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Question by cjs (Daphne, here's the r...)
Thanks BUNCHES Jean! I hope to get it started late next week. I'll try to document with pictures...We are so excited!!!!!

Oh, and while I'm dropping OS off at a meeting at the college Saturday, I'm hoping to pick up a couple of books I've wanted to see. I'll be sure this is on the list.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Question by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks BUNCHES Jean!...)
another book you might look at Daphne, is Pintxos by Chef Gerald Hirigoyen - it's a book of small plates in the Basque tradition. Oh my, the goodies in this book and small plates are so fun for dinner. Much more fun than a big dinner!

Just thot I'd mention that to drive you crazy!! Let's see how many more mean folks come on and list something before you go......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Question by cjs (another book you mig...)
Oh Jean! You know how we love appies for dinner!!! Thanks! I think I'll get the Sizzle book out and see if I can find a couple of those...especially the small plates book mentioned in the front. BTW, you may want to check that out for some "pizza" ideas. Seems like several of her offerings for the publication were pizza-like. I had forgotten that until now.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Question by Gourmet_Mom (Oh Jean! You know h...)
What book? Sizzle with America's Top Chefs??? That one?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Question by cjs (another book you mig...)
Quote:

Pintxos by Chef Gerald Hirigoyen

I bought it for him for his birthday and had to hide it, so haven't had a chance to read it yet. Only another few days!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Question by Gourmet_Mom (Oh Jean! You know h...)
You better get three or so (if you have freezer space). Those pork bellies are so good! Smells and tastes so good too!

Do you have a slicer Daphne? I tried to slice mine by hand and I'll tell you that's a Royal Pain. So I just sat down and ordered a Chef's Choice 610 for $99.99 I get two day shipping for $79 a year. I shop there enough to make that fee seem cheap.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Belly Question by bjcotton (You better get three...)
Yes, Jean...that's the one.

Good advice Billy. William's quite a hand, so I'm hoping he'll be able to manage....we'll see.
Daphne