OT- washing windows
  Re: (...)
I've spent the last few days trying to get the vegetables in the garden and the flowers mulched and watered since we will be going away for a few days (no rain is forecast-- and I'm choosing to believe the weather prognosticators this time).

Alas, we are not off for a fun vacation. It's that time to spend a few hard-working days at the lake house getting it in shape for guests. And one of my most-hated chores-- washing windows.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can wash the outside of 12' high windows when the windowsill is 20' above boulders? Yikes. Embarassingly, the last time I did this we used a 40-foot extension ladder and I was 5 years younger. And has never previously broken a bone, either. Now that I am older (and, perhaps, a tad wiser?), know the pain and inconvenience of breaking a bone, and have a high-deductible insurance plan, I am nixing going up a ladder. Yes, maybe I am wiser!

What do you all think of using a power washer? The pressure at our outdoor hose is not enough to get that high, and I've never used one, but would a pressure washer work? I just have no idea...

I tried very long extension poles one year and the windows are just too high.

And I've thought of hiring a company to do it, but we've not had very good experience with any type of contractors in WV.

All comments, suggestions, and pity will be appreciated.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: OT- washing windows by foodfiend (I've spent the last ...)
In a pinch I have used the windex cleaner that you attach to the garden hose. It does a decent job if you follow the instructions. I can buy it at home depot.

You have my sympathies. I hate windows. I plan to hire someone to do ours right before we list it. Good luck, Vicci
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: OT- washing windows by chef_Tab (In a pinch I have us...)
You could always try this.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT- washing windows by labradors (You could always try...)
Theresa, I wonder if you can attach that stuff to the power washer? The hose pressure is pretty low. I'll have to check into it, thanks!

Labs, seriously, how do you find these things??? I don't know if Spooky is up to climbing the windows, but perhaps I can build him a little scaffold if he promises to wash the glass as thoroughly as he does his face several times a day (but, what else is there for a cat to do, really?!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: OT- washing windows by foodfiend (Theresa, I wonder if...)
Quote:

Labs, seriously, how do you find these things??? I don't know if Spooky is up to climbing the windows, but perhaps I can build him a little scaffold if he promises to wash the glass as thoroughly as he does his face several times a day (but, what else is there for a cat to do, really?!)

LOL! It had been emailed to me five or six years ago, so when this thread came up, it came to mind, again, so I just Googled for it. It IS a classic, though.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT- washing windows by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
My SIL once used the windex stuff Theresa mentioned. While it wasn't the same as hand washing, she said it was better than not washing them at all (that was my suggestion!).
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: OT- washing windows by Lorraine (My SIL once used the...)
Any kids in the neighborhood that want to earn a few extra bucks?
  Re: Re: OT- washing windows by DFen911 (Any kids in the neig...)
Now there's the BEST idea! LOL!!!!! They won't be any better or worse than doing the spray and wash, but you'd win over some kids for odd jobs for the summer!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT- washing windows by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Of course there is always my favorite
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT- washing windows by Harborwitch (Of course there is a...)
Quote:

Of course there is always my favorite

Mine too, that one's the best!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."