Oysters!!
  Re: (...)
Finally had our oyster dinner and what a dinner it was!! In the middle of finding how much we were enjoying these little devils, we called the couple who gave us the oysters and they were sitting in our kitchen 5 minutes later eating dinner with us. Man, these were delicious.

The first dish we had was the best of all - it was more of an hors d'oeuvre, was so rich, but oh my so good. I forgot to take a picture, but here's the recipe. Anyone remember VDQ from C2C?? I have no idea how many years ago I got this recipe - will have to go over and see if I can still find her. I made 18 hours bread and we laid oysters on thin slices of the bread and that's it - just gobbled down.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Herbs

2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh oregano
1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil -- plus more for drizzling
2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
2 dozen shucked fresh oysters
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat broiler. Stir herbs, red-pepper flakes, oil, and vinegar in a large bowl. Add oysters, and toss to coat.

2. Transfer oyster mixture to a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle Parmesan over oysters, and season with pepper. Drizzle with oil. Broil until golden brown and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Serve.

VDQ says this oyster recipe is wonderful!!
Serves 4 as an appetizer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Then, we had Corn Pudding with Tabasco Fried Oysters, from C@H, issue #48, pg. 14 - we all loved this method (combining the oysters with Tabasco first) for the oysters, but I have had better corn pudding. The combination is what was so very good tho.

[Image: oysterscornpudding.jpg]

And for you beer connoisseurs, we drank Angelique Dubbel Belgian Ale (Abbey style - whatever that means) - great and one large bottle sure was not enough!

AND, we finished it with Paulie's recipe for sorbet. My son gave me a bottle of champagne for my birthday that turned out to be so sweet, we didn't want to drink it, so I used it yesterday for the sorbet and it was wonderful!!

What an unexpected fun dinner this turned out to be.

P.S. and see the beer glasses??? My Dad got those when he worked for the Oldsmobile dealership in Yakima, WA in the 50s for some promotion the dealership had going. I love them, they are so heavy and clunky and with all the pirates painted on. (He would have loved this dinner also.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Oysters!! by cjs (Finally had our oyst...)
William would think he'd died and gone to heaven! I'll save this for him especially, Jean! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Oysters!! by Gourmet_Mom (William would think ...)
Wow, nice meal Jean! You sure are lucky to get that endless supply of seafood you always seem to have. Looks delicious!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Oysters!! by Mare749 (Wow, nice meal Jean!...)
Looks, and sounds like a great dinner. And, the glasses are fabulous!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Oysters!! by Lorraine (Looks, and sounds li...)
I've only eaten 1 oyster in my life and it was on a dare when I was 15 years old.

And out here there is no such thing as fresh seafood.
  Re: Re: Oysters!! by DFen911 (I've only eaten 1 oy...)
Denise, the Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Herbs can easily be done with jarred oysters. Mine were frozen, not fresh - the neighbor brought them when I couldn't get to them to fix.

In fact both of these recipes can be done with jarred oysters - keeping in mind they'd even be better with fresh!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
The glasses look like Spanish Armada from here. I better get my eyes check, it's time. Can no longer see the fine print.

But the bread. Is that bread behind the glass? Did you make that or buy it? It looks really good.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Oysters!! by iCook (The glasses look lik...)
that's a loaf of 18 hour bread - yes, homemade. Really good with the broiled oysters (& parm) on slices.
www.achefsjourney.com
I soooo wanted to make these tomorrow on the beach - but wondering if I can used dried thyme and oregano with fresh parsley (maybe some basil)??????? I'd need to make the topping tonight and take it with us.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Oysters!! Jean !!!! by Harborwitch (I soooo wanted to ma...)
Sharon, that's what so great about this recipe it can be done ahead. Let me know what all you do and how ya'all like it!!

And, thanks for bringing this up - the couple who joined us for the dinner???Our neighbors, John and Helen - she died 2 months after that dinner. We had such a fun time that night.
www.achefsjourney.com