What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce?
  Re: (...)
Hello All!

I'm finally getting the Hubby to use the grill he bought a few years ago that he's not happy with. It's a Weber, but with two burners instead of three.

So I want to do ribs this weekend. Baby backs. I learned how to do them from Cuisine - tear off the silver skin, french the meat, do a rub, and then slow cook them for two hours or so in the oven at 250. Then, throw them on the grill with the sauce of your choice.

I use either Bone Sucking Sauce or a local, FunnyBonez sauce. They're both great, but I've always wanted to make spareribs with that tantalizing sauce. Has anyone out there on this board done this? I looked up ribs in the index and only saw index # 70 and #17 for ribs. I'm guessing you need a smoker to get the real true flavor for spareribs

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce? by BarbaraS (Hello All![br][br]I'...)
This is my family's favorite. We try others but keep coming back to this one.

Grilled Spareribs with Cherry Cola Glaze Bon Appétit | July 2002

Before using the cherry cola, pour it into a bowl and allow it to stand at room temperature until no longer effervescent, about four hours. Start with a relish platter, then serve the spareribs with the State Fair Potato Salad and corn on the cob. What to drink: Tall glasses of iced tea or frosty mugs of lager.
Yield: Makes 6 serving

ingredients
4 12-ounce cans cherry cola (flat)
2 cups cherry jam or preserves
2/3 cup Dijon mustard with horseradish
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons malt vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

7 1/4 to 7 1/2 pounds well-trimmed pork spareribs
preparation

Boil cherry cola in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 45 minutes. Stir in next 5 ingredients. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes. Transfer glaze to large bowl. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before using.)

Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven and preheat to 325°F. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Wrap each rib rack tightly in foil, enclosing completely. Divide foil packets between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake until ribs are very tender, switching positions of baking sheets halfway through baking, about 2 hours total. Cool ribs slightly in foil. Pour off any fat from foil packets. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep covered in foil packets and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-low heat). Cut each rib rack between bones into individual ribs. Set aside 1 cup glaze. Add ribs to bowl with remaining glaze and toss to coat. Grill ribs until brown and glazed, turning to prevent burning, about 5 minutes total. Serve, passing reserved glaze separately.

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
Shannon
  Re: Re: What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce? by Dismc (This is my family's ...)
I haven't been able to make one that we like better than original Sweet Baby Ray's. I'm sure that wasn't what you were looking for, though.
  Re: Re: What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce? by HomeCulinarian (I haven't been able ...)
Sweet Baby Rays is my favorite from the store too. I am lucky enough to be able to get sauce from Oklahoma Joe's, the best BBQ in the Kansas City area, and according to chef A. Bourdaine, the best in the world. And I like to precook my baby backs in the slow cooker instead of the oven.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce? by chef_Tab (Sweet Baby Rays is m...)
Sweet Baby Ray's is good, and I used to use this for my Slow Cooker Pulled Pork recipe (Slow Cooker For Dummies, page 130) I found that Bone Sucking Sauce/ FuniBonze) - is awesome!

But has anyone ever made true Chinese BBQ Spare Ribes? What is that sticky/savory sauce stuff made of? And heck, what ribs to you buy in the first place?

Barbara

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce? by BarbaraS (Sweet Baby Ray's is ...)
I can't do better than bone sucking sauce.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce? by Old Bay (I can't do better th...)
Barbara, are you talking about that pink glaze on asian ribs? If so, I have no clue, but I did make some mouth watering ribs that were hoisin based sauced and everyone went crazy. There were no leftovers....for the first time ever. If you want I will find that one, I know it came from one of my C@H books.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce? by Old Bay (I can't do better th...)
Barbara, not real sure just what method you'd like, so here are three of my favorites. I must have 10-12 different ways to do them (we love ribs ), but these three I seem to come back to quite often.

BROWN SUGAR & BOURBON RIBS

BASTING SAUCE:
1/2 c packed golden brown sugar
1/2 c apple butter
1/4 c bourbon whiskey
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
3 T. apple cider
2 T. Dijon mustard
RIBS:
1 T. coarse kosher salt
1 T. packed golden brown sugar
1 1/2 tsps dry mustard
1 1/2 tsps dried thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 2-2 1/4 lb. racks baby back pork ribs
---------
1 lg onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
6 thin rounds peeled fresh ginger
1 1/4 c apple cider

FOR BASTING SAUCE:
Whisk all ingred. in medium bowl to blend.

FOR RIBS:
Mix first 7 ingred. in small bowl.
Using small sharp knife, loosen membrane from underside of each rib rack & pull off (or score membrane).
Rub 1 T. seasoning mix into each side of each rib rack.
Place ribs in large roasting pan.
Cover & chill at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 325° F.
Lift ribs from pan.
Scatter onion, cinnamon stick, & ginger in pan.
Pour in Cider.
Return ribs, meat side down, to pan; cover pan with foil.
Roast ribs till meat is tender and begins to pull away from bones, about 2 hours.
Uncover; cool at lease 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. (I left longer before using)

Prepare barbecue (med-high heat).
Grill ribs, till heated thru and slightly charred, about 5 min. per side.
Brush generously on all sides with basting sauce.
Grill till sauce becomes sticky glaze, about 3 min. longer per side.
Transfer rib racks to cutting board.
Cut racks tween bones into individual ribs.
Arrange on platter and serve, passing remaining sauce separately.

O.K. - I could not stand to throw the wonderful 'goop' in the bottom of the roasting pan away, so -
I strained the juice and added enough additional cider to make 2 cups. Reduce to ~ 1/2 cup to a nice syrupy sauce.
Pick the cinnamon stick pcs. and ginger pcs. out of the onion and sauté the onions till just starting to caramelize.
I served the ribs with no more basting sauce, but topped with the onions and drizzled the reduction over all.
IT IS WONDERFUL!!

STICKY RIBS W/CHINESE FLAVORS

Made these last nite and are they ever good! The recipe is from the LCBO magazine .

STICKY RIBS W/CHINESE FLAVORS
Serves 4-6

2 racks meaty baby back pork ribs
Salt & freshly ground pepper (I used the Hotel Good Sh*t-salt, white pepper, garlic, and a little 5-spice)
Vege oil, for greasing pan
2 tsp. coarsely chopped garlic
1/4 c red pepper jelly
3 T. hoisin sauce
2 T. soy sauce
2 tsp. red chili paste
1 T. oyster sauce
1 T. honey
1/2 tsp. 5-spice powder

Preheat oven to 300°.
Season ribs generously. Put ribs on oiled sheet, bone-side down. Fill botom of pan with water & cover ribs tightly w/foil. Put ribs in oven.

Bring remaining ingred. to simmer in small saucepan over med. heat. Stir to combine and set aside.

Bake ribs 2 1/2 hours or till ribs are tender when pierced w/a knife. If bottom of pan dries out during cooking, add more water. Discard foil & brush ribs w/sauce. Continue baking ribs for 30 min. longer.

(At this time I chilled and kept for service.)

Preheat the grill on med-high heat. Remove ribs from oven (or frig.) & brush both sides w/sauce. Grill 3-5 min. per side. basting occasionally w/sauce.

Transfer ribs to a board and let rest 5 min. Cut each rack into 2 sections and serve...with lots of napkins!!
Lorraine, that magazine is wonderful!!
-------

Tuscan-Style Spareribs with Balsamic Glaze

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chopped sage
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
6 pounds pork spareribs
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar -- preferably one aged for at least 5 years

In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, rosemary, kosher salt, fennel, black pepper, sage, thyme, paprika, crushed red pepper, coriander and allspice. Rub the spice paste all over the spareribs and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.

Preheat the oven to 325°. Arrange the ribs on a large, rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan, meaty side up. Roast the ribs for 2 hours, or until tender.

Preheat the broiler. Brush the meaty side of the ribs with the balsamic vinegar and broil 6 inches from the heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then cut between the ribs and serve. (I don’t broil them, I put them on the grill just long enough to heat and glaze)

A slightly spicy medium-bodied red with low acidity or a lighter-bodied Sangiovese-based red like Chianti.

Search for easy-to-find complex, savory chianti classico or riserva

-----
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce? by cjs (Barbara, not real su...)
Although we use Sweet Baby Ray's a lot, this is one of my favorite recipes, along with the bourbon recipe that Jean posted.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Asian Hot Grill Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon chinese hot mustard -- to taste
1 large garlic clove -- minced
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Asian chili paste with garlic -- to taste

Combine all ingredients except chili paste in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat. Stir in chili paste. Brush on meat while grilling.

Description:
"For chicken, beef or pork"
Yield:
"1 1/4 cups"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's Your Fave Rib BBQ sauce? by cjs (Barbara, not real su...)
Oh - WOW! There's my favorite rib recipe staring me in the face. Brown Sugar Bourbon!!! It even beats my plum ginger sauce. Thanks for reminding me Jean - we need to do those soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!