St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake
  Re: (...)
Just saw this in a newsletter this a.m. - oh my, it just sounds so goopy and good - have to shop this morning, so may pick up a cake mix and go for it. (Sorry Daphne, couldn't resist posting another da-- dessert )

St. Louis-Style Butter Cake Recipe or St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake
Recipe By :By David Rosengarten

For the crust:
1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic Yellow Cake Mix -- (118.25 ounce)
4 ounces butter -- melted and cooled (plus extra for greasing)
2 eggs
For the gooey batter:
8 oz. cream cheese -- softened
16 ounces confectioner's (or 10X) sugar
2 eggs

1. Prepare the crust: Grease a 9" x 13 1/2" Pyrex glass baking dish with extra butter.

2. Combine crust ingredients in a mixer (like a Kitchen-Aid), and mix on medium speed until crust starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

3. With a plastic spatula, spread the crust mixture evenly over the bottom of the Pyrex pan.

4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

5. Prepare the gooey batter. Using the Kitchen-Aid once again, beat cream cheese and sugar until it is light and fluffy, scraping the sides often. The mixture should look like icing.

6. Add eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl after each egg. The mixture should be smooth, lump-free.

7. Pour the batter over the crust, and bake the cake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from oven. There should be the slightest jiggle in the very center of the cake when it is done. Cool to room temperature and serve.

Serves 8-12.

Description:
"Nutritional honor runs rampant these days-to the point of making me want to let my fat-soaked, sugar-sprinkled hair down at every opportunity! So, with your permission, I pay homage to a little-known St. Louis dessert that pre-dates the Food Police: a
goo"

NOTES : It's time to live a little. The following recipe is from Picasso's Pizzeria, a great restaurant in Jacksonville, Florida. It's owned by a St. Louis emigré who never forgot his roots.

-------

Of course I'm only having to make this to test for the pre-4th party and what desserts I'm going to serve...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake by cjs (Just saw this in a n...)
And here I was wondering how we would use up the 4 lbs of cream cheese we have. I have lots of cake mix (they were 10 X $10). Thanks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake by Lorraine (And here I was wonde...)
We're in trouble, Lorraine!! I'll race you to see who makes it first...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake by cjs (We're in trouble, Lo...)
You guys are killin' me! That sounds so scrumptious, Jean. It will be saved for future reference when I need to make a cake.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake by Mare749 (You guys are killin'...)
Oh my goodness! I still want to hear how Denise made out with the brown sugar in the torte. That one may have to be first, but this is a close second.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my goodness! I ...)
It's cooling. The kitchen smells great.
  Re: Re: St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake by Lorraine (It's cooling. The k...)
HA! And the winner is....LORRAINE! KO in the 1st round!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake by esgunn (HA! And the winner...)
It is so good! But, oh, so sweet. A little goes a long way. But, it's the kind of thing, that if it's sitting on the counter, you keep cutting a little piece. I think this would be a great July 4th dessert.
  Re: Re: St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake by Lorraine (It is so good! But,...)
You posted at 3:07 - we'd already cut a piece to try it! It's nothing to look at, but it sure is tasty!! I bet it would really be good with coffee! I'm trying to stay out of the little bit we kept until Roy gets up. We divided it up between us and five neighbors - that's how good it tasted.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Louis-Style Gooey Butter Cake by cjs (You posted at 3:07 -...)
Quote:

I bet it would really be good with coffee!

It is!!! I think my oven was too hot. I know it's usually off by about 25 degrees. I set it at 370 and the thermometer said just shy of 350, but I took it out after 35 minutes. The middle did not jiggle at all. You're right in that it's not much to look at, but it sure is good. I gave the girl downstairs almost half of it.