Birds and Bunnies and More!
  Re: (...)
Today was the first Saturday of the month and time for the local livestock auction. I got to go along this time. There was not as much variety today as before, but I had a good time. We learned a lot from the experts, including another larger, nicer auction on the SECOND Saturday. After making our purchase, we explored a local meat market that sells only local meats, makes their own sausage and usually has pork bellies for sale! He was out today, but I'll be back later next week! Then we headed to the farm to deliver our purchase...5 Barred Rock hens. I also wanted to check out the state of the garden. It won't be long before I am VERY busy!

Here's a slideshow of the day...enjoy! A fun Saturday morning!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Birds and Bunnies and More! by Gourmet_Mom (Today was the first ...)
What a fun day! Great pictures!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Birds and Bunnies and More! by esgunn (What a fun day! Gre...)
Daphne I just LOVE your pictures!! You are really getting excellent use out of that camera of yours. Every slide you do I feel like I'm right there
  Re: Re: Birds and Bunnies and More! by DFen911 (Daphne I just LOVE y...)
Thanks, I'm getting used to the odd looks from people...LOL! I just walk around clicking away. I'm really enjoying it. I got excited about the pork bellies and forgot to take pictures inside the meat market, and I could have sworn I got some pictures of the humming birds at the farm. Oh well! It was a great day, even if it was rainy and cool.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Birds and Bunnies and More! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, I'm getting ...)
I loved your pictures - I love Chickens! Some day I want one of each!

Your pictures are all great - what a garden you will have - I am not that

into gardening - but love to go to the Farmer's Markets for the fresh

produce.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Birds and Bunnies and More! by mjkcooking (I loved your picture...)
Daphne - really enjoyed your captioned photo stories. You're getting darn good at it!

Jealous of your squash blossoms. Do you ever use them for recipes?
  Re: Re: Birds and Bunnies and More! by HomeCulinarian (Daphne - really enjo...)
Great pictures! Sure wish I had room for chickens. And a pig or two.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Birds and Bunnies and More! by Lorraine (Great pictures! Sur...)
Jeanette, I have never tried doing squash blossoms. Last year, at the end of the season, I finally figured out which ones to use...LOL! I noticed yesterday, I could really tell the difference. There were some really big ones, too! If they hold out until next weekend, which they should since they just started, I'm going to give it a go!

Lorraine, we almost got one of those pigs, but we didn't have anything to carry it in and no pen set up yet. Plus, a man behind us paying told a girl that bought one that 30 buck was too high.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Birds and Bunnies and More! by Gourmet_Mom (Jeanette, I have nev...)
They really are great pictures, Daphne!! We used to have one of those Chinese long-necked geese (in fact we had two but the female was killed by someone/thing). What a hoot he was, named 'Son of a B*tch' and he was in love with Roy after he lost his mate. Roy couldn't go anywhere on the farm without S.O.B. at his heel, usually tripping up both of them.

$30.00 is too much to pay for a weiner pig? We payed $25 - 30.00 in the 80s and 90s for heaven's sakes. Your picture looks like the Yorks or York/Hemp blends we used to buy. I sure miss raising pigs. They are so much fun....and so damned good eating!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Birds and Bunnies and More! by cjs (They really are grea...)
"$30.00 is too much to pay for a weiner pig? We payed $25 - 30.00 in the 80s and 90s for heaven's sakes. Your picture looks like the Yorks or York/Hemp blends we used to buy. I sure miss raising pigs. They are so much fun....and so damned good eating!"

According to some of the sellers, the market is down on a lot of livestock....which is good for us! I got the feeling she could have bought the little weiner for 20 bucks. I can't wait to see what we discover at the "bigger" auction next Saturday. I'll be taking the camera!
Daphne